Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Rye Whiskey

Meet Rye and Whiskey, the two new gilts here at Cold Antler! They came yesterday around noon, delivered by the men from Windy Hill Farm up in Fort Ann. I was happy to pay the ten dollar extra delivery charge, because the trip up to get the pigs, catch the pigs, and get them settled would have been a full morning's work. With kids coming any minute, the first chapters of my manuscript due, and a morning hay run over to Livingston Brook Farm it was a blessing to have these fine gentlemen deliver these two pretty girls. They made themselves at home right quick.

They are floppy-eared Yorkshire/Berkshire crosses and around twenty pounds each (and that is nothing to be ashamed of at twelve weeks old). They are in their cleaned out stall, with layers of pine shavings and fresh hay to root through and get into all sorts of trouble. This morning they were buried deep in their nest of hay, porcine spooning to stay warm. I poured a crock-pot reduction of barbecue sauce and honey over their piggy kibble and they sure did pop out of slumber fast! They practically ran over to their big bowl and did what pigs do best. EAT!

Here is the song the little gals have been named after. A favorite Old Time Banjo song about the need for fire water, but in all honesty I feel the same way about home-raised pork...

15 Comments:

Blogger Deltaville Jamie said...

That is, oddly enough, one of my favorite songs. Lots of memories of my great Uncle singing it we pulled crab pots from the water down in VA. His other favorite was Pistol Packin Mama.

March 5, 2013 at 7:34 AM  
OpenID vintageandhandcraftedinnovascotia said...

Lovely little gals - will be happy to watch them grow over the next 6 months or so. Spring is here!

March 5, 2013 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

omg! They are so freakin' cute! Almost too cute to eat. Notice I said almost. Can't wait to have some serious bbq this summer - and Jenna, you have a standing invitation. Tim makes one hell of a smoked pork.

March 5, 2013 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger Cris Locci said...

Hi Jenna! Thanks for leaving this song! I first heard it last yr at one of the free music concerts at the Saratoga Battlefield. The musicians that performed this song were a group called Ampersand Hertitage-they were great! http://www.ampersandmusic.org/
I tried youtubing a sample of their music but only found the following link(the woman in the video is Beth from Ampersand).I enjoyed it & thought you might too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvj6YfbVXoY&feature=player_detailpage
Thanks again!
Cris

March 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I love their names ☺

March 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM  
Blogger Melanie J. said...

I wanna reach through that picture and pet their ears! :)

March 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

They are cute! I hope they provide you with many meals and lots of bacon (mmmmmmm, bacon)!

March 5, 2013 at 11:58 AM  
Blogger Noël McNeil said...

Such cuties! Any kids yet?

March 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM  
Blogger katrina hall said...

Love your piglets - and I love hearing that song again! My father used to sing this to me.

March 5, 2013 at 10:18 PM  
Blogger dazy.mae said...

I had never heard that song before but my 13 yr old son did. I was shocked..something he heard on the history channel. I think the little pigs are adorable. My son, Austin, liked the names. we are both on kids watch with you in spirit. Wish I could really be there to lend a hand, a leg a foot, a anything. Too bad Wisconsin is on the other side of the lake with a few bumps also along the way. so in full spirit we give you support and encouragement. Your awesome, your living your dream, and you are
enlightening many of us in different ways.ways.

March 5, 2013 at 11:58 PM  
OpenID nytesong said...

Cute names! And they look like they've settled right in.

One day when I have a wee farm of my own I plan on naming my first set of pigs Prosciutto & Pancetta...just to help remind me of how delicious they will be one day.

March 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Congrats on the pigs. I would love to do the same someday! I am reading (and very much enjoying) 'Made from Scratch' right now and thought I'd see if you had a blog. Happy to see that you do!

March 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM  
Blogger blind irish pirate said...

And I was thinking about Rye Whiskey from Punch Brothers. "Makes the band sound better, makes your baby cuter, makes itself taste sweeter."

March 6, 2013 at 9:44 PM  
Blogger Cris Locci said...

Hi again-I was reading everyone's comments on Rye Whiskey & tried clicking on the http address I cut & pasted from Youtube...don't know what the heck that is!??? For some reason it's the wrong link! Anyway, it was supposed to be a performance of
The Story The Crow Told Me (Lost Radio Rounders w/ special guests)from 6/27/2010 on youtube. I don't know why the http address is NOT right???Sorry everyone!
Cris

March 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

Ah how cute, more photos please!

March 8, 2013 at 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home