Monday, March 11, 2013

Francis Did It!!

I am writing with absolute pride right now in my little goat. Francis, the practically Nigerian Dwarf sized Oberhasli gave birth to a big, seven-pound, baby boy all by herself! I ran out on an appointment this morning and came home to a beautiful, clean, bleating boy in the hay. He needs a name, and the theme this year is fiddles so suggestions are welcome! Things like Rosin, Flameback, and Catgut come to mind! He's in the living room with Gibson, who has taken over as goat nanny. Annie is sleeping in the truck while I get everything figured out. She isn't aggressive, but plays rougher than Gibson who is gentle as can be with the little ones.

And just an aside, when the birth was over little Francis let me milk her without a single kick or fuss. Yeshiva was there and couldn't believe her eyes. She said she never saw a first-ever milking go so smooth. Way to go Francis!


Blogger Stacie said...

Congratulations! To you AND Francis; I would have been a mess, trying to coordinate everything like you have, and you've made it all the way through now! What a cute little dude.

March 11, 2013 at 2:32 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hooray!!! I've been out of town for my grandfather's funeral, and so I missed your great events. Congratulations. You've got some beautiful babies on your hands!

March 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM  
Blogger rabbit said...

He and I share a birthday!

March 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

Congrats! I vote for Rosin :). (Sorry if this posts twice. It's been doing that with some of my comments for some reason.)

March 11, 2013 at 2:42 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Happy Birthday Jess! Want Monday as your Birthday Present?!?!

March 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

Hi, I don't know anything about raising animals. just wondering why the baby is in the house and not nursing with the mother. And why are you milking the mother?

March 11, 2013 at 2:50 PM  
Blogger Jimmie said... I can breathe again. I was anxious about Francis. What a cutie pie her son is!

I vote for Antonio as his name, after the Stradivarius family of violins. I know, I know, the theme is fiddles, but the Stradivarius family made some might fine fiddles many years ago.

Diane in North Carolina

March 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Congratulations on a successful first kidding season! Sounds a lot easier than lambing.

March 11, 2013 at 3:08 PM  
Blogger J.D. Collins said...


Ditto for "Rosin". 'Cause he just sorta slid into the world!

Good job, Francis!

March 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

So... he is adorable and I vote for Rosin as well!

March 11, 2013 at 3:14 PM  
Blogger missliss40 said...

FYI, anyone can farm. We live in a subdivision in a town with strict zoning laws. Last year we started a small garden in the backyard and 3 hives on a friend's property. We just put 3 rabbit hutches in the basement and plan to move them to portable pens as soon as the weather improves. I just today, made a deal with the owner of an old apple orchard to rent part of her land, for free. Actually, in exchange for helping her husband clear out the old, dead trees. We will put in a large garden and run broilers and layers in chicken tractors and electronet, and add a few more hives. Luckily this property is only a couple of miles from our house. I am so excited and have to thank you and all your readers for all the encouragement. We are starting small and slow, but we are STARTING.

March 11, 2013 at 3:15 PM  
Blogger Chautauqua said...

As I am now learning to play a jig, Tobin's Favorite, that's what I present to you as a name for Francis' little one. "Tobin" (would be even better if he was a Toggenburg!) Glad things are going so well around your homestead. I feel your happiness in your words.

March 11, 2013 at 3:50 PM  
Blogger mdoe37 said...

Charlie (as in Daniels)

Excellent looking young man! (uh the goat I mean)

March 11, 2013 at 3:51 PM  
OpenID rawketstarling said...

That just figures, eh?? As soon as you step away from your little kingdom for FIVE MINUTES the goats all decide to birth. I would be cursing Murphy and all his laws, but I'm glad everything worked out so favorably for you :) welcome to the world, little beebee goats!

March 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM  
Blogger Charlotte Boord said...

Call him Goje, a two-string fiddle from West Africa

March 11, 2013 at 4:29 PM  
Blogger Charlotte Boord said...

Call him Goje, a two-string fiddle from West Africa

March 11, 2013 at 4:29 PM  
Blogger Sparkless said...

Congrats! I like the name Bow

March 11, 2013 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger Noël McNeil said...

Way to go Francis!

March 11, 2013 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

I dunno-Animals seem to like being born by surprise on a Monday at your farm. How about Lundi?

March 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger jenomnibus said...

That's just about the cutest little baby anything I've ever seen! I like the suggestions of "Tobin" or "Bow" - cute names for such a cute little guy.

March 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM  
Blogger rabbit said...

Thanks Jenna! And really?! ;D

March 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM  
Blogger Wendy Rogers said...

My buck is named Flat Rocks Fiddler. Of course I am FiddleSong Farm!!

March 11, 2013 at 10:13 PM  
Blogger CrankyPuppy said...

Love the name Goje. I just bought my honey a Scotti fiddle (maker is Scott Cao). So how about Scotti?

March 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM  
Blogger katiegirl said...

So, just curious, but you mentioned several times you were worried about her size and kidding. You also said Yesheva was worried. If you were both worried about her, why did you breed her? Isn't she just now a yearling? Why not wait a year and breed her to kid as a 2 year old?

March 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM  
Blogger Moose Hollow Farm said...

Congratulations, Jenna!!!!!
How about the name Duncan for bluegrass fiddler Stuart Duncan?

March 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Good questions, Katiegirl!

SO here is the deal with Francis. When I bought her she was a year old, or darn close to it. I would need to check the papers but I think Francis was bred to the buck at 18-20 months old. This is a perfectly fine age for a first breeding, but only if all the animals and circumstances are right.

Bonita and Francis were bred to a buck named Little Britches at Common Sense Farm. Because I am friends with those guys at the commune I was able to have the dreamy opportunity to literally drop off my girls at their buck pens and pick them up a week later after several witnessed breedings with LB.

This was PERFECT for Bonita and PERFECT for me. With everything else I have going on the opportunity to have my gals bred for free, as a drop off, was a blessing!

So Bonita and I were pumped, and that left 2 outta three, as it was a little chancy for Francis. Any buck would have been chancy though, seeing as this was her first breeding and you never know how each female will take to it. Francis was smaller, but hardy.

Many animals are bred by larger males and nature finds a way. Their size difference wasn't astounding, maybe forty pounds? My concern wasnt her life but that the kid would be bigger and need to be pulled out. That was why I was worried, about going inside a goat and pulling another goat out!

So why did I breed her to a larger male and not search out a perfect mate? Because of time, and because if I have a breeding female that can't handle a little extra stretching and stress she shouldn't be on a working farm anyway. Neither of my goats are pets, they are here to make milk - which is why both were bred. I do right by them, but I do not do perfect by them.

I had faith she would be fine. And she was.

March 12, 2013 at 9:22 AM  
Blogger katiegirl said...

I understand. For some reason I thought she was younger when you got her.

March 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM  
Blogger Sara Marinara said...

I vote Fiddlesticks. This post made me wish I lived somewhere I could have some goats.

March 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger Mardy said...

Congrats. I have nigerian dwarf goats that just kidded as well.....but my babies were 1lb each!!! Your goats could eat mine for breakfast.Ha! Arn't they just SO much fun?! And we are having so much fun milking. I like the name Fiddler Bo

March 12, 2013 at 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home