Saturday, March 23, 2013

A Morning of Good Work

It was a day of good, necessary, work here at Cold Antler and most of it had to do with botany. My friend Tom recently bartered some firewood for new logo for his landscaping business, and we unloaded it this morning. The sun was bright and the reflection off the snow was harsh, but we squinted and laughed through the effort. Stacking wood with a friend is great fun and it didn't take long before the side of the house's little covered porch was once again loaded with good, dry, wood. This farmhouse was heated by nothing by two wood stoves this winter. It was a really good trade.

The night before I filled the truck with bales of hay. When the wood was in place the bales were smartly stacked right alongside the cord wood. Hot Dang,It was a beautiful sight. Hay and firewood (grass and trees) are the two main arteries pumping the heart of this winter farmstead. I have never in my life appreciated botany so much.

With those big chores done I offered to buy Tom (and his majestic beard) brunch at the Burger Den. We enjoyed it the way only people who stacked cord wood and hay bales really can. Every bite of pancake was bliss. And those calories were appreciated (and put to work) soon as we returned back to the farm. The gentlemen had offered to help with some chores and I wasn't going to turn another pair of hands away. We repaired the horse's fence and rewired any parts of the electric element that needed more "zip." I cleaned up the barn and set up new nesting boxes for the hens, cleaned out all the rabbit cages, and gave the goat and pigs some new bedding. By three in the afternoon I was past ready for a nap, but incredibly satisfied at the progress.

It was a little frustrating spending so much time snapping and twisting wires while Merlin and Jasper watched us. The part of my brain that still wants to play hooky just wanted to saddle up and spend the day riding instead. But keeping animals, any animal, is mostly involved with the "keeping" and not the playing. We fixed fences and wires today, in a few weeks when snow is a memory I won't have to worry about them tearing it down to eat grass on the other side of the fence. With order restored, I am excited for that day not too far ahead when a patch of sun breaks into my office window at 10AM...

And when it does, I'm shutting down my computer, grabbing a bridle, and playing hooky.

6 Comments:

Blogger RamblinHome said...

Don't think of it as hooky, but a mental well-being break!

March 23, 2013 at 7:40 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Jenna, You seem to be feeling much better. I am happy that the firewood and hay are stacked and all the animals are tended. I find it very hard to do much when I am under the weather. Take care of yourself.

March 23, 2013 at 9:31 PM  
Blogger WillowBrookFarm said...

Sounds like a productive day! Gotta love those helpful friends! The other day I spent the first day of Spring giving the chicken coop a thorough cleaning, it may have been snowing and freezing but I was cleaning it anyway :)

March 23, 2013 at 9:43 PM  
Blogger daisy said...

Sounds like you're feeling better. I enjoy seeing the barter system alive and working well. Sending you some sunshine today.

March 24, 2013 at 6:03 AM  
Blogger Debra Fox said...

I worked with a lawyer not long after college who put in very long hours yet he was always cheerful. . Some folks in our office planned a cross country skiing trip and this man had so much fun falling down and rolling in the snow. He said his motto was " work hard ,play hard". I think you've got that down.

March 24, 2013 at 8:32 AM  
Blogger LaurenWinnifredFarm said...

Yea for Burger Den! That was some darn good food and company. I want to come back, now, right now.

March 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home