Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Yup

I pay attention to the weather more than anyone I know. My health, my work, even my social life—all these things are connected to the forecast. It is beyond ritual or logic, this weather checking. I own metrological gadgets few normal citizens own. I have rain gauges and barometers and remote-controlled indoor/outdoor setups that compare and contrast conditions from my barnyard to my living room. When I wake up every morning the first thing I do—before I take off the covers or consider a trip to the bathroom—is check the weather. In the dark cold of winter morning a brave appendage reaches out from my blanket den of warmth and clamors for my smart phone. That phone is always close to me, and not because of texts or twitter (those are for people who do not check the weather as often) but because that little black box is so much more than a personal assistant. When you live by the climate like I do, that phone becomes your babysitter, best friend, worst enemy and fortuneteller. Within seconds of clicking on my news I find out everything that is happening to me that day, the next day, and probably into the rest of the week. I would call myself obsessed, but that isn’t accurate. Obsessed implies some sort of control. I am not obsessed. I am possessed. Anxiety is not the same as ownership.

I, Jenna Woginrich, am weather’s bitch.

14 Comments:

Blogger PattyW said...

Yeah and so is your friend Mark!

February 13, 2013 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Sunny Spot said...

we are ALL natures bitch. down here in FL im prepping for our first real freeze this weekend. I LOVE the weather.

February 13, 2013 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger Stephen Andrew said...

Haha! I can relate. My weather channel app often says "updated one minute ago" yet I feel the need to refresh and check it all again, again, again.

February 13, 2013 at 9:45 PM  
Blogger Sarah McCollum said...

I always wondered what I would be considered...now I know..weathers bitch...lol

February 13, 2013 at 9:52 PM  
Blogger Tyche's Minder said...

Haha. I do the exact same thing--check the weather on my iPhone before I even get out of bed. How else will I know how fast to move?

February 13, 2013 at 10:05 PM  
Blogger Wayne Jones said...

It really is sad that these smart phones have become so much a part of our existance. I say that as I check my own for any number of messages and updates that might be coming through. Perhaps recognizing we have a problem is the first step toward a cure right?I'd love to stay and type more but my phone says it's time to go.

February 13, 2013 at 11:17 PM  
Blogger E said...

More weather fun can be had here:
http://weatherspark.com

February 14, 2013 at 12:57 AM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

Welcome Jenna! I blame my dad for my weather obsession - that man can tell you what it's going to do for the rest of the week, what the isobar mean in terms of wind and what the almanac has predicted for each month! I check the thermometer every morning when I come downstairs and then the local news station app for the daily forecast (broken down hourly). And I do this in reverse before bed every night. If I don't, I feel like I've missed something!

February 14, 2013 at 6:35 AM  
Blogger kwdiving said...

You are not alone. Living on a rock surrounded by ocean and connected to the mainland by dozens of ageing bridges, we are possessed as well. Especially from June thru November. Good luck with this next storm, keep warm.

February 14, 2013 at 6:58 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Disconnect from the weather--and the rest of nature--is the most blantant symptom of what ails our society. We should all have our feet on the ground (not a floor!) and our heads in the clouds.

February 14, 2013 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger farmwifetwo said...

Welcome to farm living :) Never cared when I lived in the city. Now, it controls our lives.

February 14, 2013 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

I am envious of the "old-timers" and others who can forecast weather by the sky's changes and clouds. My goal is to be as learned as them w/o relying on technology.

February 14, 2013 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Gramma Phyl said...

Eric Sloane's Look at the Sky and Tell the Weather is the book all homesteaders and others that love weather should have on their bookshelves. I have the original edition but in 2004 he updated it. I remember using the knowledge and lore in this book to teach weather wisdom to my children, one of whom is now a science teacher.

February 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger Gramma Phyl said...

Eric Sloane's Look at the Sky and Tell the Weather is the book all homesteaders and others that love weather should have on their bookshelves. I have the original edition but in 2004 he updated it. I remember using the knowledge and lore in this book to teach weather wisdom to my children, one of whom is now a science teacher.

February 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home