Sunday, February 10, 2013

Tomorrow: First Day of My New Job!

One of the gritty realities of running any homestead is money. These days you need it just as much as you need chicken feed and a good set of sheep shears. I quit my steady paying job as a corporate web designer back in June and have been riding the wave of self employment ever since. To be perfectly honest, it is has been rough out there. I quickly ran out of the small nest egg of savings I had and had to come up with new ways to pay the bills and keep the dream alive and the farm (generally) in the black with the banks. Things grew scrappier and I realized I needed a little more security. I bit the bullet. Tomorrow is the first day of my new job.

So Monday morning I will be pouring a mug of coffee, getting dressed, and joining the throngs of others heading into the work week. I have a new solid gig, the first real breath of relief I felt in months. But here's the kicker. I won't be starting up the truck or even leaving Cold Antler…. Darlings, I will be making the commute up the stairs to my office where I will be starting in earnest on MY FIFTH BOOK!!!!!

Yes friends! I landed a new book deal, my first deal since 2009! It's with a new publisher but I'm still writing about what I love most: raising food at home. The folks at Roost Books are as excited I am about this new adventure we're taking together. And this new manuscript I am starting tomorrow falls into place just as I am wrapping up the last edits of the book coming out this fall. This is going to be a very busy spring in this little office surrounded by horse tack and taxidermy. One book is being written while another one is getting ready for bookstores come October. And folks, that book coming out in October is going to be a doozy...I just saw a sample of the pages from the guys at Storey and it may be the most beautiful thing with my name on it so far. Every page is designed with illustrations, photographs, song lyrics and quotes. It's a romantic and realistic journal of the Wheel of the Year here at CAF. A book worthy of anyone needing an injection of Barnheart remedy.

Guys, it is so incredibly encouraging, all this. To be so busy creating books, to still have the honor to write them and know that people want to keep reading and publishing my work, even in these sketchy times of fiscal cliffs and what not. To me it says I made the right choice. I left a job that did not fulfill me and I am making it (just!) doing what I love.

So I can't say I've made the big time, that's for sure. The book deal comes to me in three modest payments over the course of the next 18 months and the first one is already spent. I paid the mortgage for one month and paid off three scary little debts that banks were calling me about night and day. The check was enough to get that monkey off my back while keeping the lights on, and I consider that combination a blessing. So when it comes to cash I'm in the same place I always have been of *just* making it, but at least I'm on more solid ground. I think if you can climb out of a little debt while keeping a roof over your head - all the while doing what you love… Well folks, that is success to me. And I feel like the most successful person in the world tonight. I have no idea how next month's mortgage will be paid, but I know it will. I am as certain of that as I am about setting up my tax appointment and taking my vitamins after brushing my teeth. You can bet on some things, you sure can.

And you know how many angry creditors called me this week?

None.

54 Comments:

Blogger seagoddess said...

Awesome.

February 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Fantastic!! Cannot wait to read the one coming out in October. Can you leak what the new one will be about? Have fun writing.

Cath

February 10, 2013 at 7:02 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Congratulations!!! I can't wait to see your next work. :-D

(And I must admit I'm relieved you aren't commuting in your truck to an office. I would totally understand; I do it to a classroom, but my living vicariously self would have been sad. :-) )

February 10, 2013 at 7:07 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

thanks all! and Michelle, I don't think I have it in me. I aint going back to that life. It nearly killed me.

February 10, 2013 at 7:10 PM  
Blogger Working Mom Homestead said...

Congrats!!! So happy for you!!! Keep living the dream :)

February 10, 2013 at 7:12 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Congratulations...I'm so happy for you! We're getting that old debt monkey off our back too, which means I'll have extra cash to buy your books, so keep 'em coming girl!

February 10, 2013 at 7:15 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Congratulations!

February 10, 2013 at 7:28 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Congratulations! I'm already looking forward to October's book, and now there's something ahead of that to look forward to as well. I'm proud that you keep finding ways to stay afloat on the farm. Where there's a will, you'll always find a way. It may not be comfortable, or everyone else's way, but if it works for you, then go for it. Congrats again.

February 10, 2013 at 7:43 PM  
Blogger ebwhite said...

Wonderful, wonderful. Looking forward to reading your book next Fall and the next one and the next one and many more.
Cheers.

February 10, 2013 at 7:58 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Nice photo!

February 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Nice photo!

February 10, 2013 at 8:01 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Nice photo!

February 10, 2013 at 8:01 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Congrats, Jenna, that is just fantastic news. You'll keep putting your intent of "enough" out there, and it will come.

February 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

I can't wait for the October book. And now another book in the future? Awesome!! Yay for you!

February 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM  
Blogger Crisy said...

HOORAY!!! I've been jonesing for another Jenna Book!! Way to go - so happy for you...and all of us that get to read it:) You Go, Girl!

February 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger Crisy said...

HOORAY!!! I've been jonesing for another Jenna Book!! Way to go - so happy for you...and all of us that get to read it:) You Go, Girl!

February 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger Welcome Comfort Farm said...

Congratulations! Super news :-)

Thank you for sharing your life with us and being such an inspiration!

February 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM  
OpenID aquaglas said...

Revel in it, Jenna!

February 10, 2013 at 8:45 PM  
OpenID aquaglas said...

Revel in it, Jenna!!

February 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM  
Blogger Karen from CT said...

Yeah! Can't wait to read both of them. Good for you Jenna!

February 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM  
Blogger Alicia-Marie said...

I can't wait to read the book that is scheduled for release in October. And another one in the works - yay!!!!

February 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM  
Blogger Glyndalyn said...

Congratulations, Jenna. Good work.

February 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM  
Blogger Shannon Morgan said...

Congratulations! Sending you all the good vibes / feelings / hopes I have to give!

February 10, 2013 at 9:09 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

Congrats!!

February 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM  
Blogger Wendy Wyatt said...

When I was young and had more enthusiasm than money, I had to learn to be the most frugal person I know. I had notebooks full of plans and dreams. I wrote down every single penny I spent in one notebook. If it did not directly further my plans and dreams, it had to be cut. I wrote up detailed budgets that planned ahead for seeds and feed and tools. I always paid the mortgage and other obligations before food or pleasures. We cannot have everything.

I had a CSA farm. The money from that had to go for THAT. If you snitch a little here or there, it causes each endeavour to be a pyramid scheme....meaning you need more and more income to cover what folks have already paid for, but the money went to something else. It's not easy staying on track financially. I had to learn even though it sometimes made me crazy :-p

February 10, 2013 at 9:57 PM  
Blogger barbsbirds13 said...

That is great news about the new book. I'm totally ripe for the one coming out this fall. Best to you!

February 10, 2013 at 10:09 PM  
Blogger lemontreelane said...

rock on, jenna, can't wait for the next book!

February 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM  
Blogger Maggie in Tally said...

And zero phonecalls from debtors is a victory in itself. You go, Jenna!

February 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM  
Blogger Moon said...

YOU ARE AWESOME! *pride*

February 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM  
Blogger Moon said...

You are AWESOME! I just knew you could do this and make a go of it. *pride*

February 10, 2013 at 10:47 PM  
Blogger Missa Deller said...

Fantastic news! Can't wait to read them both!

February 11, 2013 at 12:11 AM  
Blogger Ngo Family Farm said...

That's wonderful! Congratulations! We do things one small step at a time here, too - just barely making it, but very happy for the freedom.
-Jaime

February 11, 2013 at 12:25 AM  
Blogger futurefarmgirl said...

I just took a major sigh of relief! Congratulations, Jenna! You are being blessed as you have been a blessing to so many!!! You continue to be my inspiration...I'm owning the dream of being on my own small.plot of land within the next 18 months! Thank you for your unending supply of encouragement!

February 11, 2013 at 4:02 AM  
Blogger Raining Iguanas said...

Your writing is excellent and belongs in a book. You will continue building on your dream. Congratulations!

February 11, 2013 at 4:25 AM  
Blogger daisy said...

Congratulations, Jenna!
Looking forward to getting the new book!

Is there any way you'd be able to work freelance as a web designer from the farm? Or some such endeavor? Maybe you could be a consultant for folks who want to do what you're doing. Just thinking of other ways to bring in a little income without having to do something you really don't want to.
Enjoy your freedom!

February 11, 2013 at 5:48 AM  
Blogger Moonwaves said...

Congratulations. I just got Made from Scratch and Barnheart recently and am glad to hear that there's more coming from the same place. :)

February 11, 2013 at 6:05 AM  
Blogger kwdiving said...

I am so happy to hear you get to continue on the path of your choice. Live your dreams!

February 11, 2013 at 6:21 AM  
Blogger Second Nature said...

So happy for you!!

February 11, 2013 at 8:02 AM  
Blogger Second Nature said...

So happy for you!

February 11, 2013 at 8:03 AM  
Blogger Second Nature said...

So happy for you!!

February 11, 2013 at 8:03 AM  
Blogger Martina White said...

woot - this is so exciting. I love reading your books, can't wait for the next one in October and to know another one is coming out is great news.

February 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Awesome news!

February 11, 2013 at 11:29 AM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

I am soooooo happy for you!! What wonderful news!!

February 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Woooo hooooo!

February 11, 2013 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Wooi hooo!

February 11, 2013 at 1:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you.

February 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

Congratulations on a new book deal, Jenna! Looking forward to this one this fall.

February 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger Joleen said...

Very exciting news! Can't wait for October for the new book and later for the next one.

February 11, 2013 at 2:07 PM  
Blogger Wayne Jones said...

What a wonderful bit of news.I smiled often to myself while reading your latest post.Congratultions on the new book.I know having that debt paid down is a tremendous relief.Keep up the good fight.

February 11, 2013 at 7:59 PM  
Blogger Debra Fox said...

You are a very brave young woman.

February 12, 2013 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Good for you! Can't wait to read both new books. :)

February 12, 2013 at 6:34 PM  
Blogger Barbara Dykes said...

Atta Girl! You are a great writer - You have the gift.

February 13, 2013 at 7:33 AM  
Blogger Barbara Dykes said...

Atta Girl! You are a great writer - you have the gift. May there be many more books in your future!

February 13, 2013 at 7:34 AM  
Blogger Holly U said...

Congrats Jenna!

February 16, 2013 at 7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home