Thursday, February 28, 2013

Stay on the Farm

My editor and a photographer were here earlier this week to talk about my new book coming out this October. The title will be One Woman Farm, and instead of a memoir like my past books, it'll be a fully illustrated journal. Think of it as a blog you can hold in your hands, only you haven't read any of it before. It goes into the story of one turn of the Wheel, October to Holy October. Every month is a story of friends, food, animals, and the journey this place has taken me since inviting dairy goats and horses and new friends into my life. I am really excited for it. It'll be a book you'll be proud to own, or give. I was proud to write it. And it'll be beautiful, illustrated and cleverly packaged. I can't wait!

Music is a big part of this book, just as it is a big part of my life. Deb (my editor) brought along a real treat for us, an old Grange hymnal! We flipped through it over a lunch of homemade potato and bacon soup (thank you Lunchbox or Thermos) and tried to find songs to add, songs most folks may have forgotten. We both want this book to be a love letter to homesteading, a keepsake. part of that means feeding the book with folks songs and stories as much as my own adventures milking goats or with Merlin in the forest. This one may be my favorite, Stay on the Farm.

Come boys, I have something to tell you,
Come near, I would whisper it low,
You're thinking of leaving the homestead,
Don't be in a hurry to go.
The city has many attractions,
But think of the vices and sins,
When once in the vortex of fashion,
How soon the course downward begins.

You talk of the mines of Australia,
They're wealthy in gold without doubt,
But sh! There is gold on the farm, boys,
If only you'd shovel it out.
The mercantile trade is a hazard,
The goods are first high and then low,
Best risk the old farm a while longer,
Don't be in a hurry to go.

The great busy west has inducements,
And so has the business mart,
But wealth is not made in a day, boys,
Don't be in a hurry to start.
The bankers and brokers are wealthy,
They take in their thousand or so,
And think of the frauds and deceptions,
Don't be in a hurry to go.

The farm is the safest and surest,
The orchards are loaded today,
You're free as the air of the mountains,
And monarch of all you survey.
Best stay on the farm a while longer,
Though profits come in rather slow,
Remember you've nothing to risk boy,
Don't be in a hurry to go.

16 Comments:

Blogger Ab said...

That song figures in one of the later Laura Ingalls Wilder books (These Happy Golden Years or The First Four Years?). I always wondered what the tune sounds like.

February 28, 2013 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger Glyndalyn said...

Congratulations on the new book. I love the old hymn.

February 28, 2013 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger barbsbirds13 said...

Thank you for the song! Maybe I wouldn't have taken it to heart way back when and many won't today, but there it is for all of us who spent years in cubicles to reflect upon today. And for new armies to promote and fight for support of family farms today.

February 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM  
Blogger barbsbirds13 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger barbsbirds13 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Noël McNeil said...

I'm so excited for your new book! I'm a little behind on my reading since having my 3rd last summer, but I'll be catching up. And love the song too...

February 28, 2013 at 11:11 AM  
OpenID moo-producer said...

That is brilliant! I'm putting a copy on my fridge.

I especially love the double entendre of "But sh! There is gold on the farm, boys,
If only you'd shovel it out". This would be "manure-hauling time" at our place. 8-)

February 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM  
Blogger acupuncturepxie said...

Would love to hear you play this song. I love it.

February 28, 2013 at 4:40 PM  
Blogger phaedra96 said...

Cannot wait for the new book! I have Barnheart, read all the others. I certainly will be puchasing this....think maybe you might do a pre-purchase thingy so you can autograph copies and then send them along???

February 28, 2013 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger Ozy said...

Is that piano music on there? If so is there any way you could send me a picture of it or something? I've been trying to find the music for that song so I could try playing it on my new keyboard for ages but I can't seem to!

February 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM  
OpenID moo-producer said...

Jenna,
Could you please give the Hymnal publication information? If the copyright has run out on this song, could you post the music?

March 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I don't have any of that information, the book isn't mine, it was Deb's. I know the song is from the grange songbook by Randy Hale. I thnk?

March 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger dazy.mae said...

I ran into your book Made from Scratch by accident (I was actually looking for a book on making bread)and discovered more than what I even thought or knew I was looking for. I think some might find that last sentence confusing, but if you read it more than once you'll probably understand. I think Jenna and others that read her blog/books will most likely catch the meaning more quickly. Jenna your comments and writing style are amazing. Without even trying you make me laugh, care about things I didn't fully realize I cared about, and you make me think. Thank you for sharing yourself with us.

March 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM  
Blogger dazy.mae said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 1, 2013 at 2:59 PM  
Blogger Ozy said...

Well, I tried looking for the book but the only books I could find called 'The Grange Songbook' were listed as authored by The National Grange so I'm not sure if they're the right ones. (The main one was published in 1983 if someone knows the year).
HOWEVER, I found a link to a teacher's resource through the Library of Congress that gives information about another book that contained the song and has a link to scans of the sheet music. Here is the teacher's resource, if you're interested, with the link on it: http://www.loc.gov/teachers/classroommaterials/presentationsandactivities/presentations/timeline/riseind/rural/leave.html

March 1, 2013 at 10:11 PM  
OpenID moo-producer said...

Thanks Ozy,
Also a lot of Grange Song Books can be found on Alibris!

March 2, 2013 at 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home