Friday, February 1, 2013

Settlers of Veryork

The temperatures dropped over night, well below freezing, but after the last few weeks anything above twenty degrees feels downright balmy. This morning the house was around fifty five degrees and it felt as comfortable as seventy. I think my body is just adapted to the new temperatures I have given it. My truck doesn't have working heat right now, at least not the vents that push it towards you in any efficient way, and I simply dress warmer inside it and weary toe warmers on my socks for longer trips. I have been wearing kilts so long with tall insulated boots that I am never cold in them, certainly not when temperatures are this balmy! Yet some folks see me with bare knees and think I am nuts.

I'm not nuts, I'm comfortable. It's a lot easier to get on a horse, jump over a gate, and move all around the farm quickly in a kilt than it is in confining jeans or overalls. I wear good riding skivvies below them (full-seat breeches I chop off above the knees) and heavy wool hose under my boots. The kilt guards the soft thighs from the saddle and the breeches keep my rump in place. And I can not tell you how nice it is to see the pleats flowing over the cantle at a canter. I know, technically, that kilts are men's clothing but sometimes even the toughest canvas utility kilt feels like a flowing skirt and I get this spicy dash of feminine happy time. I'm proud to be a tough chick, but I'd rather be a tough chick in a tough skirt. I'm not the overall type.

I think it is fascinating how adaptable us human animals are. Given enough time to grow comfortable, we get there. It's how we happen to be the same species and yet live in so many varied climates and conditions. But someone from the Congo in Lapland and you be there will be some discomfort, but given time and a few generations their grand children will just think of sweaters as boots thick as seal blubber as normal. Put a Lap in the Congo and the sweaters come off, with joy. We're an adjustable lot, us.

I'm excited about tonight! Some blog readers from Minnesota who are moving to Veryork (building a haybale-insulated thatched cabin in my old Vermont stomping grounds!) are coming over for dinner and so is my friend Tom who farms in Massachusetts. I met all of these folks through Cold Antler. Tom met me at the Mother Earth News Fair and Tara and Tyler emailed me months before and said they were coming this way. I met them through coincidence when they happened to already know one of the pig share owners who stopped by the farm on a pickup night last week. We got to talking about games and apparently they are huge Settlers of Catan fans and on their trip cross country they even brought their own copy of the game. They seemed thrilled to find folks to play with in a new town. I have never played before, but I have heard a lot of great things and went over the rules online. Tom hasn't played either but we are giving it a go. Fun!

I have grown to really love spending time with others in games and stories. It seems more in tune with the homesteading lifestyle to enjoy a round of storytelling or card swapping by candlelight than everyone sitting around a screen or spending over a hundred dollars as a party to eat food out we could cook better in our own kitchens. Tonight will be a good meal, with good people, and a proper snowfall outside that suits these winter months instead of that recent scourge we all just wiped off our boots. I'm grateful for all those things.

P.S. For those who ask, I wear kilts from UTkilts.com, if you order one check the sizing chart! They do not work the same as jean waist sizes, so be warned!

P.S.S. Thank you for the contributions! I ordered a low-end Canon Rebel! Hay and wood is also on the way! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

P.S.S. You ready for some Birchthorn?

11 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

Birchthorn!!!

February 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM  
Blogger Karen Talamantez said...

Yes! Birchthorn! YES, please.

February 1, 2013 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger jules said...

Haven't tried kilts yet, but do wear skirts 99% of the time now. I like the kilt length tho. I hear ya on the comfort level. No pinching or binding. Yea!

Try sockdreams.com. Long cuffable scrunchable socks. I live in them during the winter with my boots. They are great under skirts and stay up well. I must have 10 pairs in various colors. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

February 1, 2013 at 1:49 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

All the Canon Rebels are great- I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

February 1, 2013 at 2:34 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

All the canon rebels are great- I'm sure you'll be happy with yours.

February 1, 2013 at 2:35 PM  
Blogger Paul Molnar said...

A hearty "Yes!" for more Birchthorn!

February 1, 2013 at 7:23 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I love my Canon rebel, too. Your pictures have always been good, now we'll see the next level.
Yes, so ready for more Birchthorn!

February 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I love my Canon rebel, too. Your pictures have always been good, now we'll see the next level.
Yes, so ready for more Birchthorn!

February 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM  
Blogger WTB said...

Yes, bring on the Birchthorn!

February 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

I think about birchthorn driving home at night when my car headlights make shadows in the spruce on the side of the road. And I think of what it would be like if I didn't have headlights, but just a lantern on a cart. When I go to get wood at the wood pile in the snow, and i think of half scoured cows with lockets from beyond the grave.

in other words, yes please!

February 5, 2013 at 1:49 AM  
Blogger Loco Lindy said...

Yes to Birchthorn! Happy for you getting a new camera, I moved up to my first dslr this year, a Canon Rebel t2i and absolutely love it! I also got a book on my specific model from Amazon and it was extremely helpful :)

February 5, 2013 at 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home