Monday, February 4, 2013

saxophones and puppies

Meet Darla, the 9-week-old Old English Sheepdog puppy. She might be the cutest little Ewok I have ever seen. She isn't my little girl (I like my dogs a little more crazy), but she came to visit this weekend and her proud new mama (Patty) took her over to the sheep gate. This little dog, who's from a long line of shepherds, stood tall and looked those sheep right in the eyes. Darla (who I call Moneypenny) will be a great addition to Livingston Brook Farm. There she'll be a true farm dog! She'll weave around hay bales and battle with barn cats. She'll run in big hay fields, walk alongside horses and tractors, and learn woods and streams from Harley, their big hunting dog. She has a great life ahead, this little pup.

Having a puppy around has been a real treat. I have had lambs, kittens, chicks, and goat kids around but having a pup squirm and smile in my arms is something different. It's a whole new vibe, and entirely pleasant. I think music explains it best. Having a kitten around is kind of like having a new saxophone, violin, or flute on the table you're learning to play. It's something that will become smooth, sleek, and explosive. But a puppy? A puppy is all Banjo. Banjo, banjo, banjo. All plucks and smiles and clumsy happy sounds. And as you play more and the pup grows up you get something mighty bright and powerful too, just incapable of a cat's level of jazz. And that's fine by me. There's not a lot of room for jazz in my life, some, but not much. I'd rather dance with dogs. I think dog's sleep better at night.

Banjo, banjo, banjo.

7 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

Love it

February 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger aart said...

Puppy Breath!! Not much better than a good dog.

February 4, 2013 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger aart said...

Puppy Breath! Not much better than a good dog.

February 4, 2013 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger MLW said...

ShesagooddogbyGod!

February 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM  
Blogger WillowBrookFarm said...

Omg, what an analogy, perfect way to describe my crazy dogs!
And she is so cute!

February 4, 2013 at 7:37 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

My daughter just got a new puppy, and I couldn't agree more! They play hard, and when they crash, they sleep so soundly!

February 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM  
Blogger Snarled Yarns said...

It's funny that you post this cause for Christmas we got a Jackabee puppy, and last sunday we got a Banjolele.
Both seem to vibrate in tune with our lives here!

February 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home