Thursday, February 28, 2013

Remembering

That video may still be my favorite, and I feel like it captures the purpose of this blog and farm: Hope. I think the wanting of something, anything, may be the most powerful force in the world. Be it a person you want to be with, a job you want so much it hurts, a farm to call your own, or even just that first morning sip of coffee. This is a blog about anticipations granted, long as you are willing to do the real work of believing they are possible. My life and my farm are far from perfect. It's messy and scary and there are many broken things. But I can honestly say that there isn't another person on this planet I would want to trade lives with, not one. And when you get to a point where a better version of yourself is all you desire, I think you're on to something.

I made this video the first summer of living at this farm in Jackson New York. I am still in shock that I was able to get a mortgage, move into my new home, and expand the farm as much as I have. When this video was made (summer of 2010, I think?) I had no idea what to do with a cart horse. Hell, I was still scared to ride anything that wasn't at a riding school or equestrian club, surrounded by experts. I had not milked a goat. I had not ever stalked a deer. I was a lot more naive, specially about my romantic partners. I was waking up and going to a job I didn't want to be at, every single day. I lived in fear 97% of the time. And you know what? It was that 3% of hope that got me out. Because someone once asked me on a front porch this amazing question, "Yeah, but if you quit your job you would be fine, right?" And my head split open. No one had EVER said that, certainly not as nonchalantly as if I had asked them how to spell cat?! But it just took that little bit of encouragement, and that 3% of hope, and my world changed.

It may be time to post a new video this summer.

23 Comments:

Blogger Abby said...

I also love this video. When people ask me, "who is this Jenna you always talk about" I steer them to this video, then hand them a copy of Barnheart. I've made a few converts already!

February 28, 2013 at 9:16 AM  
Blogger Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

I just watched this the other day when you posted the letter from a reader. It is such a great video...and so inspiring. I have it on my list of things to share on my blog...matter of fact, maybe I'll share it today!

February 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM  
Blogger Glyndalyn said...

Yes, great video. Looking forward to the next one. It would be nice to have one for the Phony Farm but most all we produce is for our own use.

February 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

Still get goose bumps looking at that! You've come a long way. And have a long way to go. You are amazing, Jenna!

February 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM  
Blogger rabbit said...

By far my long time favourite video-I show it to anyone who will watch! I watch it when I need some support and strength and faith/hope to get to the better version of me. Pure inspiration....

February 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger daisy said...

The goosebumps keep on comin'...You have SO much to be proud of. I'm hopeful for my future in farming...

February 28, 2013 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Justine said...

yay! I vote for a new video... they always inspire me to do more and better and be happy with what ive got plus I love seeing the farm!

February 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM  
Blogger English sheep gal said...

Hey Jenna, we all love your vids, and of course the great music you select to go along with them, which is so bouncy and positive. Looking forward to an updated one later this year.

February 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM  
Blogger Noël McNeil said...

I love this video too and I would love to see a new one. You do such a great job Jenna!

February 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I love this video. It always gives me hope when I think our farm is out of reach. Who is the music by?

February 28, 2013 at 7:28 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

Wonderful video! Nancy @ Little Homestead in Boise

February 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I think we will all be looking forward to a new video! Things keep happening and changing. It's all exciting.

February 28, 2013 at 10:42 PM  
Blogger Neil Gillespie said...

Well done Jenna, you are living the good life, and such an inspiration.

February 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM  
Blogger macbew said...

I love your video but I also love that song. There is so much energy in it(or it manages to find the energy in me even when I think there isn't any left). If you don't mind my asking,what is the name of the song and who sings it?

March 1, 2013 at 12:55 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

It's by Sigur Ros. I need to look up the name? I think it is in the youtube commetns?

March 1, 2013 at 6:50 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I also watched this the other day, with the reader's letter. Most excellent! And a new video this summer... yes please!

March 1, 2013 at 7:58 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I sat there and cried through the entire video. Congratulations on making your dream come true...and thanks for reminding me to keep working on mine, too!

March 1, 2013 at 8:39 AM  
Blogger macbew said...

I'll look for it. Thank you.

March 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM  
Blogger macbew said...

Found it. It's Inní mér syngur vitleysingur. I can't pronounce it either but according to wikipedia they are from Iceland.

March 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM  
Blogger a.rogue (Alice) said...

That is beautiful - it brought tears to my eyes! You are amazing, thank you for sharing your journey!

March 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger Sheila Menendez said...

This video resonates with me on more than a few levels, and your reason for it being a favorite: Hope, sings loudly in my ears.

When my husband and I moved to NC from CA, we took on a dilapidated farmhouse that anyone else in the area would have torn down.

I left my family, we had our pickup truck, an 18-month old, my cattle dog, Alex, and a laptop with mobile broadband.

When we got here, and bought this house, we had just what we brought in the truck with us. As we began rehabilitating this house, it hit me. Hope is something you have, at the very least, when you have nothing else. Not even a hammer or a pillow. Hope grows wild here, and that is how we named our small-timey farm. Hope Farms.

I guess you could say I "quit" my "job" two weeks ago yesterday. I'm officially self-employed as a farmer (growing for market, self-sustenance)and as an independent contractor; market manager for our tiny rural market in its infancy - we'll begin our third season in about 6 weeks.

I LOVE this video. Keep heart, have hope.

March 2, 2013 at 9:47 PM  
Blogger Kendra said...

Every time I watch that video it brings tears to my eyes. You inspire the grandest of desires in my life. Because of the things I read about on your blog I feel like someday I will be able to do those things too. Just need to take one step at a time and I will get there in my own time.

March 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger Kendra said...

Every time I watch that video it brings tears to my eyes. You inspire the grandest of desires in my life. Because of the things I read about on your blog I feel like someday I will be able to do those things too. Just need to take one step at a time and I will get there in my own time.

March 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home