Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pandemic!

Last night was Game Night, an institution here at Cold Antler. Only the core group of us showed up and to be perfectly honest we were all beat. Each of us had a long day, and we were all more ready to plop in front of a movie and shovel food than play some intense strategy game. But then, we set up Pandemic and that all changed....

Pandemic is cooperative game. All four of us were a team, fighting a series of disease outbreaks around the globe. If that sounds ominous it's because it is! But SO MUCH FUN! We cranked up some action movie soundtracks and crawled around the table. Our medics and scientists flew around the world, building research stations and treating infections. All the while more and more outbreaks occurred and we were groaning in terror. But before long we were laughing, clinking beers, and hopping up from the table for seconds of potato bacon soup I had on the stovetop simmering. It was a great time. All it took was the decision to have fun, and we did. Sometimes it comes in a board game box, other times it is outside your apartment on a dance floor. But last night it was in a farmhouse fighting Bird Flu in Essen. And even though we didn't save the world and it succumbed to horrible disease, we had fun trying to keep the human race going. Then we played again, on a harder level, and had our rumps handed to us yet again! But now we are all excited to play it again next game night and figure out how to beat the board. We left excited, inspired, and hungry for more.

12 Comments:

Blogger kbrow said...

I see, more and more, in my life, that one great way to beat exhaustion/depression/malaise/ennui, is to commit to having fun, even if that prospect seems daunting at any given moment. Once the fun is had, the vigor and zest for life are renewed.

Shaking it up is the best medicine.

February 27, 2013 at 9:59 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Holy cow, we had so much fun last night! Rousing ourselves from bed was difficult today, the morning after we let the world perish... twice.

February 27, 2013 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger MIB said...

Hey, have you guys seen TableTopDay.com? March 30, y'all--get out your boards and cards!

February 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger auntgrandma said...

Amazon sells these games..I know cause I looked because I want Gloom(my kids think I have lost it)..you could link them on your side bar and make a bit of cash from them. Thanks for telling us about your game nights....it would be so much fun to do the same and I am trying to get it started....have a wonderful day...blessings..Pam

February 27, 2013 at 12:14 PM  
Blogger Janel Gradowski said...

I recently found your blog and I love reading about your Game Nights! I have to admit, I don't like playing games. Never have...and I thought I never will. That was, until I started looking at your posts. Now I keep finding games that I want to track down and play.

February 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

One of the reasons I love this blog and your books is that you never forget one of the most important things about homesteading. Making Your Own Fun.

Too often people concentrate purely on the visible parts of making this lifestyle work... the animals, the garden, the physical property. Those are all incredibly useful and very good things, but our forebearers also knew that fun was part of the equation. From the oh-so-proper charades and card games out of an Austen novel to the dances where a family would put all of the furniture in the yard and every musician from miles around would turn up to play, in the past we HAD to make our own fun. Giving up cable was the best thing I ever did. Yes, I still play some video games and yes, some games I buy at the store, but the most fun is playing with other folks.

February 27, 2013 at 2:03 PM  
Blogger doglady said...

Game night is something all of you will cherish for the rest of your lives.

February 28, 2013 at 7:41 AM  
Blogger Sue Sullivan said...

We have a board gaming group that meets every Sunday afternoon. I love that you've found eurogaming! Fun and friendship are really important for recharging.

February 28, 2013 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger Sue Sullivan said...

We have a board gaming group that meets every Sunday afternoon. I love that you've found eurogaming! Fun and friendship are really important for recharging.

February 28, 2013 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger Carol G said...

I'm so glad you have such a nice group of friends to gather around you and have good times with.

February 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Have you played Forbidden Island? Also a cooperative game, perhaps for a younger audience, but great if you ever have a mixed adult/kid crowd. Spy Alley can be great fun with friends. Check out Cards Against Humanity, too!

February 28, 2013 at 9:18 PM  
Blogger Lone Pine Farm said...

I've played Pandemic with friends, after nearly winning at Civilization - the next round I would have made it! Pandemic was a great way to wind down the day and end on a cooperative, not competitive, note :)

Three cheers for real live humans and non-electronic board games! This is how communities were built.
Mandi

March 7, 2013 at 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home