Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Good To Want

Things here at the farm are sauntering into a plateau of amicable stability. It is such a relief. Yesterday a horse trailer full of hay was delivered and stacked in the barn. The excess was stacked by the house under the shelter of the porch, tucked aside a cord of wood stacked the week before. Outside my kitchen window, it is so highly stacked with grass and timber I can't even see the sunlight. That's a consolation I'll gladly make, because few things lift this shepherd's spirit like looking out a window and seeing proof that summer not only exists, but is still there for me.

It's Tuesday morning. My plans include a trip to my bank before noon and an afternoon of freelance design work with a writing chaser. I try to make time every day to shoot some arrows into the haypile and work out, too. Currently I am on a cleaning tear and this house is being wiped and dusted from top to bottom. It feels wonderful to be shedding pounds and removing (literal) dirt and garbage from my life at the same time. I've taken a pretty serious view of my martial arts education and decided to get as much as I can out of it. In less than a month I have relearned five of the traditional Taekwondo forms, and can now easily do a hundred pushups and hundred sit ups in under twenty minutes. When I start adding more cardio, through twice weekly sparring...well, I can already see the last of the extra weight falling off. It feels wonderful, and I feel renewed. Last night I was fighting with a black belt at the dojang and I could not stop smiling, I just couldn't. Like holding a bow, or sitting in the saddle, sparring feels so comfortable to me, so correct. There's a big AAU tournament this summer in Albany, and I will be entering it. I'm going for the gold, folks. It's good to want things.

4 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

Clearing out, in so many ways, is a good feeling. Good luck with everything. Sounds like things are going well.:)

February 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger Abby said...

Good to want; I like that. My friends are always asking me why I can't just be content in my current situation. I'll have to tell them "it's good to want."

February 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger s.e. said...

Get it, girl!

February 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM  
Blogger daisy said...

Sounds like you are in a good place through your own making. I hope you stay there for a while, farmer.

February 5, 2013 at 2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home