Sunday, January 27, 2013

Wood and Hay!

Right now, outside the farmhouse is a humble pile of firewood and hay. In the last two days I was able to work out a barter for a cord for a workshop, and my friend Patty sold me a truckload of hay out of her barn. It's not winter stores, but it is a few good days of feed and a solid month of heat and it is right outside my front door. If a Nor'Easter blew in and covered us with 10 inches we would be okay, no one would go hungry. It's a good feeling, however humble. And I ordered more hay, too. A whole trailer load thanks to the kindness of the readership and the goodness of this blessed place. You know, it's a full moon tonight? Light a candle for your hope. It goes a long way.

Meg and Neil will be here soon, the pair who run Seven Arrows Farm on the Jersey Coast. I adore New Jersey and I adore Meg and Neil. I promised them a warm(isn) farmhouse and coffee and they are bringing breakfast! We are planning on hooking up Merlin for a cart ride and enjoying this last day of truly biting weather outdoors. In the next few days a warmer wind will come through and by Monday night they want snow and temperatures up in the thirties (at night!!!!). I can't wait!

But for now, friends and horses!

8 Comments:

Blogger Geeka said...

I saw a gif on cute overload (I think) today that had a cow in the back seats of someone's car, head sticking out the window, and for the life of me, it reminded me of you. In a good way. :)

I guess it just was someone getting what they needed to do done, without letting any obstacles stand in their way, no matter how ridiculous the solution was.

Yep. Totally reminded me of you.

January 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Pit Stop Farm said...

Jenna - do you ever monitor craigslist for free wood? Many people will post about their downed trees asking for someone to come cut and remove for no charge to either party. A pickup truck and a chainsaw make quick work of a downed tree.

January 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger CrankyPuppy said...

Just curious...do you not have to deal with termites where you are? Here in Missouri, if you stack wood up against your house like that, you might as well be putting a big "vacancy" sign up for the pesky little critters.

January 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM  
Blogger PansWife said...

Tonight's full moon is the Wolf Moon, or Hungry Wolf Moon, so go howl with the doggies.

January 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM  
OpenID vintageandhandcraftedinnovascotia said...

Good to see your supplies are on hand now - nothing worse than being out of wood or hay in the winter. At least here we get our heaviest snowfalls in Feb and March - so looks like you're ready!
I'm looking forward too to milder weather after being in survival mode this pasty couple of days.
Janet in chilly Nova Scotia

January 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger Noël McNeil said...

That sound like fun! And I'm happy you have some more hay and warmth. Amazing how those stacks can bring a smile to a farmers face. :)

January 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM  
Blogger lemontreelane said...

That photo makes me SMILE!!!!

January 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM  
Blogger Glyndalyn said...

Good to see you have some hay and wood. We cut downed wood for free and store it away from the house. Our household is never ready for winter until an entire season's wood is cut and hay is in.

January 27, 2013 at 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home