Sunday, January 6, 2013

Winter Quarters

The rescued chicks (two of them) and their mama have been brought inside the farmhouse and are in a wooden chick brooder in my back mudroom, behind the kitchen. It gets southern exposure, and they are a few feet away from a Vermont Castings wood stove, so in winter chicken life, this is the Ritz. The mama hen is a Pumpkin Husley, an import from GReenfire Farms. She is hands down the best mom on the farm. I don't know a breed better to get broody and raise young birds up out in the free range world. SHe's so protective I need to wear gloves around her, and when a cat or dog shows up near the brooder she turns into something out of Jurassic Park. She's doing great, and has two eggs under her that may still hatch. One cracked under her weight and heat and was just yoke, and another was a dud. So two more chances. Time will tell!

9 Comments:

Blogger doglady said...

You could candle the eggs and know if they should be discarded.

January 6, 2013 at 8:04 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

What a good mama hen!

January 6, 2013 at 8:09 AM  
Blogger seagrrlz said...

I can't tell you how excited I was to see those 2 little chicks. Such small little puffs of down, to have survived being born in midwinter. I really hope the others hatch as well but the fact that those 2 made it is so amazing.

January 6, 2013 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger Moose Hollow Farm said...

I bet you're excited over the prospect of more babies on the farm. I certainly would be ~ when I order chicks from the hatchery, I can't wait for them to get here.
Speaking of chickens, how do I get rid of hawks ~ we have 2 that have been attacking our chickens lately. We lost 2 hens in the early light this morning (several of our hens roost in trees at night and we can't get them into the coop). I will try to get them in tonight but how can I scare off hawks? I know it is against the law to shoot them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

January 6, 2013 at 8:48 AM  
Blogger eidolons said...

I have just had the best mental image of your hen morphing into a tiny velociraptor. Thank you for my first smile of the day. (:

January 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM  
Blogger farmhousewife said...

YaY!

I laughed outloud at the Jurassic Park description, just last week one of my hens drew blood! Yikes!

Enjoy the peeps.

January 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Black said...

This makes me so happy.

January 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM  
Blogger Indio said...

It looks pretty cozy in that brooder. I also keep chicken wire over the top of mine just in case the cats manage to get into the basement where they are set up.

January 6, 2013 at 6:42 PM  
Blogger Jenny Glen said...

I had the sweetest RR hen that lived at the feedstore I used to manage in CA. She was found walking down the street in Los Angeles and someone brought her up the hill to the high desert where it was more rural at our feed store. She followed us around and came in the store and would sit on our laps. We got a sweet bramha rooster and let her hatch out her chicks. She became psycho! I had to walk in the pen with my foot extended so she could only attack the bottom of my boot! I thought she was funny and I'd scoop her up anyway. It made her so mad but she couldn't do anything when I had her wings pinned to her side as long as I didn't put my fingers near her beak!

January 7, 2013 at 11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home