Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Winter Is Back!

Winter is back, as my friend Maria said in an email this morning. After a few warm days of horsing around (literally) I'm back in a contemplative hibernation state of mind. It is such a calming feeling, being farm in a little house with the snow falling outside. I am trying, though it does take an effort of will, to stop and smell the snowflakes. I'm so used to working on the next project, plan the next workshop, and worrying about when and how next week's feed order will come in that I don't stop to realize what a gift a little house with a woodstove in the woods can be.

There's enough food for everyone on the farm today.
There's enough wood for the fires to burn today.
There's friends on the phone to call today.
There's books to dive into and love today.
There's good dogs with full bellies today.
There's a cat curled up by the stove today.
There's snow falling all around me today.

It's all enough, today.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kimberlie Ott said...

Enjoy your winter wonderland, I like your attitude! :)

January 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

You have a wonderful attitude about what you have. It's a beautiful life indeed, and you know how to appreciate it. :)

January 16, 2013 at 7:52 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

Good for you. It's important to rest and be content sometimes.

January 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM  
Blogger Katrina Parker said...

Oh, to be so content in the simplicity of life and to let every worry slip past. That is what it takes to live a hundred years. Kudos!

January 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM  
Blogger Katrina Parker said...

Oh, to be so content in the simplicity of life and to let worry slip past. That is how to live one hundred years! Kudos!

January 16, 2013 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger JoAnne Schnyder said...

I too often worry about what might or might not happen tomorrow, next week, even next year. I too have a wood stove burning (even in Arizona), I have a happy cat, I have a loving husband, I have food, clothing and shelter. Being thankful for what we have today, right now, is so important. Thanks for the reminder of that.

January 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Well said. Many blessings indeed.

January 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger Robin Follette said...

I woke up worried at 2:30 am. I gave up tossing and turning, got up and went to work. The old dog is snoring in front of the fire, the epileptic dog is soundly sleeping at my feet and the middle dog, also old, sneaked into my room to sleep on the pile of laundry when he thought I wasn't looking. Life is good even in the dead of winter.

January 17, 2013 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

That is really what life is all about, isn't it? So, many people are caught up in their destinations that they forget to look out the window as they go. I love that you enjoy both as much as possible. As you look toward the next project, you know where you are going. But the most important thing is that you haven't forgotten about the view out the windows!

January 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM  
Blogger Tiffrz-N-Kidz said...

My heart is singing for you. It feels wonderful, yes?

January 18, 2013 at 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home