Tuesday, January 15, 2013

weather and pigs

I was hanging up laundry on the clothesline yesterday, and fell asleep last night in sheets dried in the sun and calm winds. The days before I rode a horse without a jacket and drove a cart in a light sweater. It has been a slushy and warm snap, I think a lot of you guys have had the same? Well, it's over tonight.

A few inches of snow are in the forecast. I brought some of my dwindling wood pile inside and stacked the wood close to the fireplace. If it is going to be a snow day I am going to roll with it. Tonight I'll load up the coffee pot and have everything I need to be comfortable with morning chores ready to go. I was going to take a class tomorrow morning, but I told the instructor I would mostly likely not make it off the mountain. A snow day on a week day is basically a holiday at this farm. I take time to stop all the worries and plans and just enjoy the fact that I am home with animals, books, and good strong coffee. These things make me very happy.

The pigs are being slaughtered this weekend. I am ready for them to check out. At the size they are at now they are ravenous and I feel like I can not feed them enough. They go through a fifty-pound feed bag in two days, with food scraps and all the hay bedding they can munch. Lunchbox and Thermos had a good run here, complete with comfy nights under the straw, escape attempts, Antlerstock riots, and Christmas Pig Mornings. They were a fun duo but I look forward to enjoying them on a bun or with a side of scrambled eggs, very very much. And I look forward to sharing them with the folks who bartered in for a share and friends who come to visit and enjoy the mountain.

Unrelated: I am on the lookout for a small one or two-horse trailer. If you have one you want to trade or sell, let me know. I can pay some gas money for delivery for local folks. Keep your ears to the ground, please!

P.S. If there are many spelling errors I apologize. It's late for this girl and I have been staring at this computer far too long. Whew, I need a snow day!

6 Comments:

Blogger kwdiving said...

How much are you looking to spend on a trailer? There are a couple on craigslist, if you haven't checked them yet.

January 16, 2013 at 6:37 AM  
Blogger Indio said...

Good luck with pigs. Are you using a different abbatoir this year? If it's the same one, I hope there isn't a repeat of what happened last year.

January 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM  
OpenID vintageandhandcraftedinnovascotia said...

A horse trailer is an invaluable asset - more than doubles the capacity of baled hay in one trip which helps with the bottom line both time and money-wise, as well as being useful for hauling horses/ponies!

January 16, 2013 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

I did in my two pigs end of December, I just pulled the bacon out of my smoke house this morning - hams still smoking.

January 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

No mistakes will be repeated! thank you!

January 16, 2013 at 12:37 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

you are so right about the trailer. Hoping for a one horse, and I don't have much to spend at all. hoping to trade for one in meat or workshops. There's one out for me somewhere.

January 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home