Sunday, January 6, 2013

This Place

A life can change so much in one year. This picture you see, you're looking at my favorite place in the world. That saddle—which I bought at a yard sale years before I ever owned a horse to put it on—is where I go to think, to breathe, to challenge myself, to unwind. It is where I feel adventure, and speed, and real wind, and fear. It is where I learned what human and horse sweat smells like together above a field of crushed lavender and mint. It is where I realized I was stronger and more capable than any degree, or book publication, or horrid breakup ever showed me. It's a cheap, used, saddle on a dark horse. It's the place a new version of me started. I refuse to live without it any longer.

6 Comments:

OpenID Tami said...

Love the plaid! Harkens back to a time long ago when a clan colors were their identification. I wonder if Merlin has those ancient memories. What are your favorite plaid colors?

January 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM  
Blogger farmhousewife said...

It's the place to be. Not "do," but "be."

January 6, 2013 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger kwdiving said...

It is always nice to hear that someone has found where they belong. I can not tell you how happy I am for you. When the world gets overwhelming at least you have found a release, and a beautiful one at that. Power to you girl, follow your dreams.

January 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger Lorie Hyten, adult services said...

Going to copy this and carry it with me when people tsk tsk me for what I spend on keeping a horse. The second my butt meets the leather I feel a load lifted from my shoulders and my spirit switching to recharge. The non-horse folks among us will never REALLY get it, but will come close if they are lucky...

January 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM  
Blogger Firecracker Farm said...

I am thinking about all those who told you how foolish it was to take Merlin on. Who's the fool now?

January 6, 2013 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger julie said...

I feel the same way when riding my little mare. It's just her and I, nothing else matters.

January 6, 2013 at 6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home