Monday, January 21, 2013

Live Like Fiction

I live a life I am proud to say sounds like something out of a novel. I spend my days shooting arrows, riding horse carts, and walking through the woods with a dog or ram lamb by my side. I go on small adventures with friends, usually in the saddle, and bigger adventures in my heart and mind. I spend long summer days fishing in a river and then working in the garden or making hay at neighboring farms. I'll do this until I am so hot and tired I need to return to the river for its blessing. I love how it grants tired skin and bones revival. Fall now is a time of holy reverence and thick gratitude, surrounded with cider making parties, farm festivals, and the fireworks of Autumn foliage. Winters are spent wrapped in wool by warm fires, dogs curled up with me on sheepskin as we read the Mabinogion by candlelight with a tankard of stout beer. I can do a spinning hook kick, shoot a bullseye, and holler behind a galloping horse in a red cart up a mountain road. This sounds like fiction, but it is very real. It's possible because I believe in magic and I believe in love. And I have just enough wisdom to realize they are the same thing. No one will ever tell me otherwise.

I'm all heart and music. I'm all dreams and firecracker. I am hope and force, manifest. I know what I am capable of and what I can help others achieve. I know where I am weak and where I need to ask for help. Most of all, I remove myself from negativity and anger. I think surrounding yourself with support and love is the only way to grow happier and to achieve the fictional life of your dreams. For me it is this earthy, Robinhoody, Celtic, farm life. That's me. For you it may be sitting in a cafe in New York City typing your novel, sailing out to the cape in your own boat, or winning the game with that amazing Hail Mary pass. The point is, whatever your fantasy life is, in some way it is already real because it is inside you. It's the wanting that sparks life into our desires. It is the work and positivity that manifests them. Our fictional lives are real because they are avatars of our emotional ones. Few things are as powerful as our feelings. What you put out into the world always finds its way back to you. Always.

And that is why this will never be a place where others are criticized or torn down. I refuse to put any of my energy or heart into such dangerous acts. This will never be a place where anger howls. This blog, like my farm, is a work in progress and always positive. I have learned that anger is a disease, as much as any illness in the body. You need to acknowledge it, heal it, and find a way to remove it or it becomes cancer and your life is taken over. I know so many angry people, and my heart goes out to them. I do not engage with them, it's pointless, but they have my prayers for healing and happiness. You can not keep those prayers for yourself alone. They grow weaker if only self-inflicted.

I think the more positive and good-hearted you are the healthier and happier you and the people around you become. Listen, I know I'm not pretty. Far from it. I'm short, and stout, and thick limbed. I swear my body has the density of a dying sun. But dying suns pack a hell of a punch, folks. I may not ever been a damsel or a princess, wrapped up in someone's arms but thats okay. That's not my story. I am not pretty, but I dare you to tell me I'm not beautiful. A stag leaping across a field is pretty. The dire wolf chasing after it is fucking gorgeous.

So dear friends, live your life like it's fiction. Love like a romance novel, seek like a good mystery, hope like an underdog story and fight like a fantasy warrior.

Non-Fiction people, get out of our way!

52 Comments:

Blogger Teresa from South Dakota said...

Holy crap can you write!!

January 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM  
Blogger Paul Molnar said...

Beautifully put. I even teared up a bit. (okay, more than a bit)

January 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger mzzlisa said...

One of your best posts ever! Thank you.

January 21, 2013 at 12:34 PM  
Blogger Heather Hamilton said...

goosebumps. tremendous. you're inspiring and awesome.

January 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM  
Blogger Robin Follette said...

You are incredible. I'm going to print this to keep on the wall by my desk. Thank you for taking the time to write this, and for sharing yourself and your life with us.

January 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM  
Blogger Morning Glory said...

Great essay and well said Jenna! I live my life with a few chosen words, "Life is what you make of it"

January 21, 2013 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger Pamela AKA Aurora said...

This post made me tear up, made me take stock, made me wiser and made me nod my head and say. 'yes, amen.'

Thank you Jenna. Thank you.

January 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

That was awe-some! You have such passion and it shows in your writing!

January 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Hey, I think you're awfully pretty, and I mean that in the most platonic, non-creepy way possible. Keep turning negativity into inspiration for others - it's such a gift - and don't you dare internalize a bit of it. Hugs!

January 21, 2013 at 1:09 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Beautiful.

January 21, 2013 at 1:12 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Beautiful.

January 21, 2013 at 1:13 PM  
Blogger shelby said...

Jenna..I happen to think you are just beautiful inside and out. Love this piece. :) You make me smile

January 21, 2013 at 1:17 PM  
Blogger shelby said...

Jenna I happen to think you are just beautiful! Love this piece by the way. You make me smile :)

January 21, 2013 at 1:17 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

You go girl! And you ARE beautiful! You have a beautiful face and a wonderfully fit body, but more importantly, you have a beautiful soul and outlook on life. You are welcoming, generous and caring. A person can look like Cindy Crawford but if their soul is ugly and they are negative, they resemble Broomhilda more than Cindy.

January 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM  
Blogger Tovar@AMindfulCarnivore said...

A wonderful post.

January 21, 2013 at 1:29 PM  
Blogger TheHotFlashHomestead said...

You are right. I think everyone needs to have the story of their life in their mind, as they live, as a compass to get them where they need to be. People go about day to day, never thinking of where their heart says they belong, and seem to get stuck in the same rut, year after year. I have so many friends who have said they long for the coast and are going to be moving there, "in a few years." And year after year, they do nothing about it until, finally, the window of opportunity closes on them and they are truly stuck where they are. We got there and are glad we did! You were right to go where your heart told you, sooner rather than later. Hopefully it's an inspiration to others to do the same!

January 21, 2013 at 1:30 PM  
Blogger Jeane said...

Is there an image in the fur on the side of the wolf in that picture? I keep thinking I see one but can't make it out.

January 21, 2013 at 1:44 PM  
Blogger sue said...

I so needed to read this today, thank you, thank you, thank you!!

January 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM  
Blogger sue said...

This is just what I needed to read today, thank you, thank you!!!!

January 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

This is amazing!

January 21, 2013 at 2:13 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Thank you for reminding me to live my life on purpose and not by default!

January 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM  
OpenID dagnygromer said...

Amen, sister!

January 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM  
Blogger Lydia Behar said...

So this morning my husband and I went out to breakfast with my Dad. I was telling him about the vegetable garden that I was going to be working on this Spring. And like usual, he started to put out his usual negative comments and I quickly stopped him and said: "I don't want to hear it". Then a little later my husband and I bought a bale of straw for the garden. Finally, good for me. And your story just affirms my morning. Thanks Jenna

January 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

I have a folder of bookmarks called "Inspiration." By far, your beautiful posts fill that folder. Thank you, they mean a lot.

January 21, 2013 at 4:34 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

You are an inspiration.

January 21, 2013 at 4:50 PM  
Blogger Eileen Hileman said...

Jenna we spent the day at a farm that raises highlanders learning all about care feeding and breeding. You were the spark that started the fire. In our book you are Ms America and Ms universe rolled into one Jenna your inner beauty and spirit are breathtaking. Don't short change your gifts these days plastic surgery can give physical beauty to anyone but no surgery in the world can make a Jenna. That is a unique beauty that is soul deep

January 21, 2013 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger LazyG said...

You are pretty! Anybody who may have said or done anything to make you feel otherwise is definitely not. And who wants to be a rescued damsel? You're more a wolf who will some day have a wolf mate that is strong enough, clever enough, beautiful enough inside and out to earn the right to curl up with you after a long day of running, hunting, playing, feasting, and ....you get the picture. Keep following your path, it's your world - make it what you want it to be.

January 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

Amazing post...thank you needed that one today!

January 21, 2013 at 6:47 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

Amazing post". Thank you I needed that today!

January 21, 2013 at 6:48 PM  
Blogger Karen from CT said...

Jenna, you are beutiful-inside and out. Love this post-you make my heart sing.

January 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM  
OpenID cathmiller said...

Strong, authentic, positive, creative, talented, giving and beautiful

January 21, 2013 at 7:22 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...


A Wonderful post! you are such an incredible writer and such an incredible person -- very inspiring!

January 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

Rock on, chick! Rock on!

January 21, 2013 at 8:37 PM  
Blogger Charlotte Boord said...

Great post, and your ARE pretty, but I could have done without the "f" word.

January 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM  
Blogger Harmony Hill said...

May you always have the inner strength and confidence to remember your wonderful advice as states above. It IS tough to ward off negativity and cultivate positivity in self and others. Your passions and your active pursuit of them keeps you on the rail where others may be Less fully engaged would be on the sidelines Waiting for IT to happen. You are a dynamo with a kindness that surprises sometimes. There is a lot going on on your battlefield!

January 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM  
Blogger Kelly Sedinger said...

I commented on a similar thought you posted on Facebook, but still -- what a wonderful post!

January 21, 2013 at 9:00 PM  
Blogger crazymimi said...

Jenna, you are beautiful, inside and out! I admire what you do everyday. You have taught so many people what it is like to work hard and live off the land. You are so right about removing yourself from people that are so unhappy that it engulfs their life. Always complaing and never happy. I have been so blessed in my life, I have seen both sides, living on a farm and and raising your food and now living the lazy life. I remember when I was a teenager and was told that my Aunt would get up in the morning and butcher a chicken, clean and cook it to take to the fields for lunch. When I was told that all I could say is oh my gosh, I couldn't have lived it that time.

January 21, 2013 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

You are such an inspiration!! Living life while true to yourself is so difficult in this day and age, but you are doing it! Doing it with such grace and humor and....sincerity. Sincerity is so special and so underappreciated. So Jenna, please know that you are appreciated so very much.

January 21, 2013 at 9:53 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

You are beautiful. I couldn't be prouder of you if you were my own daughter!
Continue to live YOUR life to its fullest and see what happens? You pay it forward and encourage your friends.
I've been reading you for a few years now and continue to do so because of your honest, from the heart writing. It says to me, "I'm genuine. I'm real..I have many strengths and a few faults...BUT I'M REAL.".
Always be yourself.....everyone else is taken.

Thanks for the encouragement :)

January 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM  
Blogger Maine homesteader said...

I heard a quote yesterday from Alex Hailey, "Find the positive, praise it".

January 22, 2013 at 5:55 AM  
Blogger svelteSTUFF said...

I REALLY hope that you don't mind if I pull a couple of lines from this post and use them (with credit to CA) in a future post of my own. B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L.!
Just what is needed on a cold January morning 8-)!
Thank you.

January 22, 2013 at 7:31 AM  
Blogger Kaitlin Torp said...

Right on

January 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger Kaitlin Torp said...

Right on

January 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Dirt Lover said...

I couldn't agree more! Thanks for the beautiful and inspiring post.

January 23, 2013 at 5:44 AM  
Blogger downeast becka said...

Jenna, absolutely fucking gorgeous. Thank you.
We are what we think we are...
keep rockin, farmgirl...

January 23, 2013 at 8:13 AM  
Blogger downeast becka said...

Jenna, absolutely fucking gorgeous. Thank you.
We are what we think we are...
keep rockin, farmgirl...

January 23, 2013 at 8:13 AM  
Blogger Diane Munson said...

You go girl - you are my hero!

January 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM  
Blogger ican said...

What's with all the f-bombs? Is this really the most articulate way to express ourselves?

January 23, 2013 at 5:47 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I originally wrote Fucking, then turned it into Friggin', and then into freakin', and then f@#cking, and then went back to fucking, because it had the bite and punch those impotent versions lacked. It was a choice as a writer.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does - I mean it.

January 23, 2013 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

and thank you for all the kind words!!!

January 23, 2013 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

so great! i have such love for all that your about!

January 25, 2013 at 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home