Thursday, January 3, 2013

-11 and Smiling

...As much as you transform the land by farming, farming transforms you. It seeps into your skin along with the dirt that abides permanently in the creases of your thickened hands, the beds of your nails. It asks so much of your body that if you're not careful it can wreck you surely as any vice by the time you're fifty, when you wake up and find yourself with ruined knees and dysfunctional shoulders, deaf from the constant clank and rattle of machinery, and broke to boot. But farming takes root in you and crowds out other endeavors, makes them seem paltry. Your acres become a world. And maybe you realize that is beyond those acres or in your distant past, back in the realm of TiVo and cubicles of take-out food and central heat and air, in a country where discomfort has nearly disappeared, that you were deprived. Deprived of the pleasure of desire, of effort and difficulty and meaningful accomplishment. A farm asks, and if you don't give enough, the primordial forces of death and wildness will overrun you. So naturally you give, and then you give some more, and then you give to the point of breaking and then and only then it gives back, so bountifully it overfills not only your root cellar but also that parched and weedy little patch we call the soul.

-Kristin Kimball
The Dirty Life

11 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Love it:) Always can tell a fellow farmer/gardener by their hands, eh?
No fancy manicures altho' would be nice to get rid of chicken poop under the nails!

January 3, 2013 at 9:15 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Brilliant.

January 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM  
Blogger maddie said...

love that book!!! I've yet to find it in a store up here though...maybe I should consider ordering it or buying it on kobo.

January 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Jamie Woodside said...

I love that book...

January 3, 2013 at 10:26 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

Time to read (well, listen to) that one again. Stay warm!

January 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM  
Blogger Pamela AKA Aurora said...

I read her book a year and ahalf ago and loved it.

Her words, at that time, applied to a life that I had just left in a very different line of work.

I found them extremely healing then, and reading them now has once again brought me back to my center.

Thank you Jenna.

January 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM  
Blogger Anton said...

One of my favorites! So appropriate this time of year. Thanks for sharing.

www.broadwayandthresher.com

January 3, 2013 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger jules said...

That is a great book that I thoroughly enjoyed reading!

January 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM  
Blogger shepherdkelly said...

That's beautiful

January 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM  
Blogger shepherdkelly said...

That's beautiful

January 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM  
OpenID alewyfe said...

Man, I love that book. I try to remind myself, when I'm also freezing or sleeping in my hat and living with my wonderful but sometimes impossible fellow that at least I only have a man, a dog, fish, and chickens to feed... that I could have a cow or two to milk and horses to feed and pigs to catch and a blizzard to walk through to get to them... and that I should put on my big girl pants and go do them. Speaking of... time for work! :-)

January 4, 2013 at 2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home