Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Welcome Will Moses!

This is a big deal! I am thrilled and honored to announce that artist Will Moses and the Mt. Nebo Gallery have joined the community of sponsors for Cold Antler Farm. The folk artist is an upstate native, and great-grandson of the world renowned Grandma Moses. The scenes of my adopted hometown, and many other hometowns around this area, are captures in his paintings. His work has been shown in galleries around the world and his paintings can be purchased as prints, notecards, calendars, and several books. I own a copy of Will Moses' "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and it never gets put away. It is always in my living room, a testament. Here is a bit from the willmoses.com website, for you to know a bit more.

Soft, shadowy foothills dotted with traditional white farmhouses; weathered red barns tilted haphazardly on broad patchwork sweeps of green and hay-gold fields; small clusters of black and white cows grazing placidly in the distance…it's all part of Moses Country. And, the 200 year-old farmhouse, where Will Moses has his studio, is as solidly traditional as the surrounding landscape…the white house where the legendary Grandma Moses began her career. 



Born and raised here, in Eagle Bridge, New York, Will Moses creates paintings that reflect the quiet beauty of this tiny community nestled close to the Vermont border. Will has created a vivid, delightful miniature world, peopled with villagers who have stepped out of the past to charm us with their simple, everyday pastimes.

As a fourth generation member of the renowned Moses family, painting is a natural tradition for Will, who began painting when he was four years old. Encouraged by his grandfather, a well-known folk painter in his own right, young Will was allowed to experiment freely with paints. Forrest K. Moses was totally committed to self-expression and passed this freedom of spirit along to his young grandson. Stimulated by his grandfather's confident approach, Will developed his own unique style of Americana.

Today, Will continues to carry on the family tradition. Although his style is reminiscent of that of his celebrated great-grandmother, it is more complex and sophisticated.

Basically self-taught, Will has honed his technique to capture all the most minute details in sharp-edged focus. It is a technique that has gained him considerable attention in art circles.

Will Moses has had several well acclaimed exhibitions of his work in the United States, Canada and Japan. The Japanese are enthusiastic collectors of Will's art and Will has personally toured Japan with an exhibition of his work there. In North America, Will continues to make appearances at art galleries and folk art shows, meeting friends, collectors and admirers of his work. Recent public exhibitions of Will's work have taken place at the Cahoon Museum of American Art, The Everson Museum, The Bennington Museum, the North Shore Art Gallery and the President Ford and Reagan Libraries.

Will Moses's paintings capture a lifestyle that still thrives here in this corner of the world. You can still find horse-drawn sleighs and flocks of sheep on our backroads. His paintings are not just reflections of our past but nods to our present. As someone who spent the day picking up her horse cart and decorating it for a parade today, I assure you, that statement is accurate.

You can take a little piece of my world home if you like. His website features frame-ready prints and books already signed by Will. It may not seem like a big deal, but a copy of Will Moses's Silent Night?, or The Night Before Christmas signed by the artist, is not a small gift! And even if you don't want a print or notecard in your home, if you have a moment, thank him and any of the CAF sponsors you see here. Think of them for your Christmas Shopping. They make this farm, and this life, possible. So please visit www.willmoses.com and say hello, place an order, or just check out the site for a peak into my world!

17 Comments:

OpenID vintageandhandcraftedinnovascotia said...

Way to go Jenna! Will Moses is a big name in art! Congrats! I'm on my way over to have a peek now.

December 4, 2012 at 6:12 PM  
Blogger phaedra96 said...

I have put together several Grandma Moses paintings made into puzzles. I am not as familiar with Will but and going to check it out!!

December 4, 2012 at 6:31 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Jenna-I am so excited for you-what an honor indeed! I love his work so much and will hop on over to his site right now. Congrats! Karen from CT

December 4, 2012 at 7:16 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Jenna-I am so excited for you-what an honor indeed! I love his work so much and will hop on over to his site right now. Congrats! Karen from CT

December 4, 2012 at 7:17 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

Is that the Legend of Sleepy Hollow book we read at the Farmer's Horse workshop?

December 4, 2012 at 7:17 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Jenna-I am so excited for you-what an honor indeed! I love his work so much and will hop on over to his site right now. Congrats! Karen from CT

December 4, 2012 at 7:17 PM  
Blogger karental said...

Wow. Amazing.

December 4, 2012 at 8:43 PM  
Blogger karental said...

Wow. Amazing.

December 4, 2012 at 8:43 PM  
Blogger Brenda London said...

NICE! Will is a nice guy, love his work. He is usually working in his studio upstairs from his shop in the barn and will sign anything you buy. They also give a free calender with each purchase and it's a real nice large size one. Every year I buy his books for my grad babies and I have a signed print in our cabin, Red Moon Rising, particularly meaningful with mine and husband's Indian heritage.

December 4, 2012 at 9:43 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm really looking forward to looking at his paintings. I've recently learned that my ancestors lived in the Cambridge area for a couple of generations in the early 1800s. His work will let me look into a window at their life!

December 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM  
Blogger English sheep gal said...

Last week I looked back through the blog for your Homebrew supply company recommendations, and ordered a xmas gift from Mr Beer, there was a comments section on their order form, so I mentioned that my order was a direct result of them being featured on the CAF blog. Maybe folk art will be my next purchase as recommended by CAF!

December 4, 2012 at 10:50 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Stunning painting. I'm going to check out Will's website to see some more of your area in art.

December 5, 2012 at 1:28 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

You are a very lucky girl!!!!

December 5, 2012 at 4:31 AM  
Blogger doglady said...

I have a print of one of Grandma Moses's paintings of the Hoosick River. I was in high school when she passed away. It was a time of great sadness in the community. Her art was first discovered by a visitor from NYC at Thorpes Pharmacy while my great uncle was one of the pharmacists there.

December 5, 2012 at 7:52 AM  
Blogger seagrrlz said...

I went to look @ his work. It was really great.I had never heard of him but it was great to learn about him and his family history.

December 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

I love Will Moses! His "Girls Night Out" is one of my absolute favorites! Good on you for getting such a great sponsor.

December 5, 2012 at 5:49 PM  
OpenID T. Crockett said...

When I came up for a workshop I bought a signed copy of his Headless Horseman at Battenkill Books. It was really hard to choose between his books, so something tells me I'll be making a purchase or two from his website. Congratulations on the new (and wonderful) sponsor.

December 6, 2012 at 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home