Saturday, December 29, 2012

Walking With Annie

Every day Annie and I go on a walk together. It is usually a mile or two, and we try to keep a pace that has both of us panting. I like it. And I like that it's just us girls. Gibson doesn't go on our walks since he spends at least two hours a day running as fast as possible around the farm while I do chores. He herds poultry and sheep, stares at goats, and taunts the pigs. He gets his jaunt in without trying, but Annie is ten years older, and she doesn't farm. She's a retired sled dog. And since she isn't allowed off leash around here(she sees our backyard as a whimsical, clucking, buffet) - she needs a good long walk everyday. So we walk in all weathers. Annie and I are kinda like the postal service that way.

We used to walk with Jazz. I miss him. But walking with Jazz in his state of sickness meant limiting our adventures to a half mile at best, a slow half mile. Annie might be older, but she can still clip up that hill. Together in the snow we move across the landscape like the happy packmates we are. We jog here and there. I tell her stories. I often sing. I once read that all the medication in the world for melancholy is useless compared to a daily walk and several glasses of water. I think that is true. And the longer the walk, and the more glasses, the better.

More snow today. They are predicting three inches. It's Saturday and I plan on spending it updating the blog with workshops, a yard sale, livestock announcements and stories. But I will also be out there in the wind and snow, walking an old Siberian, and watching her muddy prints appear in the snow as my own prints cover them, step by step. I love that old girl.

6 Comments:

Blogger seagoddess said...

What a pretty girl.

December 29, 2012 at 8:04 AM  
Blogger Chautauqua said...

I have a Siberian Husky, same colors as Jazz, and a German Shepard/Newf cross. Every day, come rain, snow, hail, -- hah much like the postal service - I'm out in the woods with them. Best thing ever in the winter when I strap on the cross country skiis and we go for a few miles along the snowmobile path. No matter how gawd-awful the weather is; as I make the last turn towards home I find myself saying, "Nice day" .

December 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger Rita said...

Jenna, Thank you for showing us the reality of farm life. I love to watch what you do in your video clips. Even though we work very hard at our city jobs I can see that moving to the country and working on a farm would be more than we could handle. I enjoy seeing what you do and love the animals. What a beautiful dog.

December 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM  
Blogger JoAnne Schnyder said...

Thank you for sharing. I loved the sound of your footsteps in the snow. My husband and I have been in Arizona a little over a year now, having previously lived in Maine and briefly in your neck of the woods in Shushan. I miss snow. The quiet beauty of it. The sound of it. It's just lovely.

December 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger Megan, Rudy's mom said...

I so miss having a Husky. Snow always meant something special. It made the hard work of shoveling the driveway more fun because afterwards we would be out side playing for an hour. Hiking in the winter was great fun too.

December 29, 2012 at 6:23 PM  
Blogger daisy said...

I'll bet part of the sweetness of your walks are because Jazz is watching over both of you. Enjoy your nesting time.

December 29, 2012 at 7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home