Friday, December 7, 2012

The Hunt Draws to a Close

I woke up at 4:30 this morning and was in the tree stand before sunrise. It was dark when I climbed up that rickety ladder, and I watched the morning stream in one minute at a time. One goose wing at a time. One blue shrapnel of light at a time. One frozen toe at a time….

No deer were seen that two-hour sit above the world. And none were seen in the three-hour afternoon sit either on another farm in a blind. I think those deer are onto us. That, or this hunter had her chances laid out on silver platters and blew it. Whatever the outcome, circumstance, or chance I have two days to try before the 2012 season is up and the gun gets put away…

Tomorrow I won't be hunting. Besides a non-stop rain in the forecast I have a barn wall to nail together in the morning and a holiday parade in the late afternoon/evening. I am certain the barn wall is being put up but the parade may be a literal washout. Regardless, this farmer will continue to hope for a deer in the last 36 hours of trying. And if not, well, there's always next year? Right?

3 Comments:

Blogger Big Sky Chicken Ranch and Victory Garden said...

Sounds like you got some good morning meditation sessions out of the deal. Good luck next year.

December 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM  
Blogger redbird said...

My favorite part of hunting was always just the watching. Watching the owls come in from a night's hunt and perch in the trees above me. Watching the squirrels battle over territory and cavort or the light change or the snow fall. One year sitting out in an old tree line behind a ramshackle barn a tough looking barn cat sauntered by and curled up by my feet for hours keeping me company. Deer were always the side story...! Best of luck in the next 36 h and/or next year.

December 8, 2012 at 6:04 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Today was the last day of black powder season of deer hunting in Maine. My son spent most of the day in a tree stand and saw nothing. At sunset he left the stand and walked back to his truck where he proceeded to change out of his hunting clothes. As he started to climb in the truck, a four point deer walked across the dirt road just 100 yards ahead of him. Ya never know!

December 8, 2012 at 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home