Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Parade Practice Drive

For the first time in months I suited up Merlin in harness and a cart and went for a mile-long drive along our quiet country road. Only it wasn't quiet at all. The wind was up and blustery and the overcast sky seemed ominous. There was a road crew working on cutting some trees near power lines across the street so there was also loud construction noises, back-up truck beeping, and heavy machinery going up and down the road. You know what I thought? This is some serious parade training!

Merlin did well. Fantastic really, considering how long it has been. He walked, trotted, and (shhh) cantered along our paved mountain road. He did a few great 180 turns and wasn't bothered by the crs and trucks that passed us. I'm sure deer watched the hunter being silly from their hiding places in the forest.Which is okay by me, most of my heart has given up on this year's deer. Oh well. It's hard to feel sordid in a pony cart.

Merlin handled the cart and me as if harnessing up and heading down the road was something we did every day. Perhaps we should? He loves it and I love it.

You know, I think I bought a driving horse that tolerates being ridden!

5 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

Y'know, that Merlin just cannot take a bad picture. And that's saying something, considering all the rump shots you get to post! :D

December 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

lol Alison! Jenna, when is the parade? The Hoff's are looking for something to do this weekend.

December 5, 2012 at 7:57 PM  
Blogger jenomnibus said...

I love the sound of Merlin's hooves on the road. So satisfying! The cart looks lovely and festive, and yes, he has a handsome rump indeed!

December 5, 2012 at 9:19 PM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

Hard to believe he's the same horse from earlier this year! You both have come such a long way with each other.

December 6, 2012 at 7:26 AM  
Blogger NANCY LEWIS said...

In your movie did you say, "a little overcast, a little crow-y"? I love that!! Crows just make an overcast day.

December 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home