Sunday, December 23, 2012

Nicolas & Mum

So McLeod named this little fellow Nick. He's a day-old Highlander bull calf and doing well. He pulled through this morning and Brett got the new mother to let him nurse a bit. If she keeps up the good work he may not have to bottle feed Nick at all. It's still a bit dodgy. A bull calf under the wood stove may still be a possibility. Between the negative temperatures in the Adirondacks and the new mother's flaky caregiving, Brett may feel a lot better having the little guy warm and on a feeding schedule.

To be perfectly honest, I have my heart set on it. I would love to turn the living room into a bovine nursery and bottle feed a red-haired fuzzball while watching old Christmas movies. Between that, horseback riding, hitching up Merlin to a harness, and snow in the forecast this is turning out to be a Christmas for the books!

11 Comments:

Blogger Crisy said...

What an exquisite beast! They truly are lovely! What a Christmas gift :)

December 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM  
Blogger Megan, Rudy's mom said...

Wow I'm glad he's still around and his momma is trying to do the right thing. I would have my heart set on it too. Nothing like a country christmass with a baby livestock animal in the house. Cute!

December 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 23, 2012 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 23, 2012 at 8:30 PM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

Christmas for the books? Are you teasing us, Jenna?

December 23, 2012 at 8:31 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

No tease, I just never had a cow in my house before.

December 23, 2012 at 8:38 PM  
Blogger Chautauqua said...

I have the stomach flu; and I'm totally frustrated learning the last few measures of Ashokan Farewell - I'm not expecting this to be one of my 'best Christmases" .... I think having a calf in the house would just push me over the edge.

December 23, 2012 at 9:39 PM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

Rats! Too bad Momma is figuring it out, but happy for your friend who won't be 24/7 nurse-maiding! lol

December 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Happy Christmas to you! What a sweetie that little calf is! Joy all around. :)

December 23, 2012 at 11:16 PM  
Blogger rabbit said...

What a lovely "Once Upon A Time...." ;)

December 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM  
Blogger Mare said...

Oh i hope the new baby visits for Christmas! Merry Christmas Jenna to You and Yours!Love, mare

December 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home