Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry and Bright!

In a half hour or so Brett will arrive with Atlas the ram. He said he wasn't bringing the calf, or the new Mare he named Sadie, but he did have a big smoked ham from one of his pigs and the suitor for my flock of sheep. This is not a bad present, folks. Atlas is a ram I gave him along with three young sheep this past summer in exchange for his help with the horse's pole barn (and by "help" I mean building it). Atlas is his ram now, but to bring it down for a few months to service my flock is a wonderful gift. Another summer of blackface lambs running around the pasture!

Yesterday was a wonderful Christmas Eve here. I tacked up Merlin and adorned in kilt, scarf, and cowboy hat. We walked down the mountain and up the dirt road where my farm's veterinarian lives with her husband and little boy Aidan. They weren't home, but it was still a gift to show up to their barn-cum-house on horseback. Merlin and I headed home and I sang to my Fell, changing lyrics to old carols to suit our Cold Antler Christmas. Merlin knows the way home by heart and was tired from cantering up the driveway and was happy to just amble as I sang to him. It made it truly a "ride." I loosened the reins and just sort of enjoyed the sunshine and the snow lining the mountain road. Being on the east side of the mountain we get less sun but we also keep the snow. Life is about trade off, I suppose. I'm happy with this one.

After our ride I took Annie for her big walk and got ready for the big meal over at Livingston Brook. The farmhouse smelled of crackling' herb-rubbed chicken in the oven and the fire had the place toasty as a Hobbit Hole.

Last night's meal was amazing and today there will be another. Tonight is a sort of Orphan Christmas. All the people there will be good friends, but for various reasons none of us were able to travel to family for the Holidays. It's one of the realities of first-generation new farmers out here. If you leave the area where your family lives and works and start a farm, specially one with animals and a staff of one, travel is impossible. At least it is here for me. Brett's parents live in Mexico, they retired to the little village in the mountains his father proposed to his mother after a west-coast motorcycle tour. His sister lives in Sweden. Patty and Mark have parents down south of New York but also were not traveling. Same for our friends Joanna and Greg, and Bo and Bill. All of us will share in a feast and drinks tonight.

This afternoon friends and visiting and sheep will be having much sex. I'm happy to report I'm excited about both these things. Jon and Maria will be over to enjoy a visit and Brett and I can exchange gifts. I got him lumberjack basics: pancake mix and booze, but other things too. I'll post a picture of the hat later, I promise.

Alright. I'm off to Wassail and Hail. Hope your day is Merry and Bright!

11 Comments:

Blogger jenomnibus said...

What could be better than good friends, good food, booze and barnyard bonking? Sounds fantastic and cozy! Merry Xmas Jenna!

December 25, 2012 at 1:53 PM  
Blogger seagrrlz said...

Merry Christmas. Sounds like a good day is going to happen! Love the Christmas card pic. Looks like a hard working Newfoundland dog pulling the sledge. Hope your day is grand and you get lots of lambs!

December 25, 2012 at 2:26 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I've just had the best Christmas because I got not 1, but 2 of your books that you have written. Also told my DH that I am hoping we can take a couple of classes from you in 2013. We live in the Finger Lakes so we aren't too far away.

December 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Best Christmas ever because I got 2 of your books. So excited. We live on a small sheep farm in the Finger Lakes and because of needing that off farm income, haven't been doing as much sheep raising as I would like. You are an incredible inspiration and because of you, some great sheep books, and a couple of weeks of vacation, I have decided to only work what I am suppose to (usually I work an extra 8 hours a week) and start concentrating on home and the farm. Where do you get your wool made?

December 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM  
Blogger R.M. Smith said...

I've never been much of a christmas fan, but recent posts of yours have brightened that somewhat. Have followed your blog in this past year and wanted to thank you for writing it. It has quickly become one of my favorites. Best wishes to you, your family, and the furry ones.

December 25, 2012 at 4:52 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Merry Christmas!!!!

December 25, 2012 at 8:33 PM  
Blogger jim said...

Merry Christmas Jenna-love your blog and i have your books-modern version of Little House on the Prarie-keep writing-you bring sunshine to our humble house

December 25, 2012 at 9:11 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas! Warmth, food, friends..what could be better? Hunker down for the storm coming. I can't wait!

December 26, 2012 at 4:31 AM  
Blogger Pit Stop Farm said...

Sounds perfect. I just noticed Jenna that you might get a foot of snow tonight/tomorrow. I'm soo jealous!

December 26, 2012 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger Bran said...

Sounds like a lovely Christmas to me. :) Mike got me the one book of yours that I did not already have - Chick Days. I already read the whole thing. Love how you included lots & lots of photos. :) This year was a fabulous Christmas - I have much to be thankful for, oh, and we cooked our first goose! But I am still looking forward to next Christmas, as we will be on our own little farm and will have a chicken (starting small, maybe lamb the following year) that we will have raised ourselves.

December 26, 2012 at 8:28 AM  
Blogger Bran said...

Sounds like a lovely Christmas to me. :) Mike got me the one book of yours that I did not already have - Chick Days. I already read the whole thing. Love how you included lots & lots of photos. :) This year was a fabulous Christmas - I have much to be thankful for, oh, and we cooked our first goose! But I am still looking forward to next Christmas, as we will be on our own little farm and will have a chicken (starting small, maybe lamb the following year) that we will have raised ourselves.

December 26, 2012 at 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home