Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas, Present

I don't know if or when Brett and Nick are coming. And I also don't know if or when the new horse, Atlas the ram, and cart will be with him either. You can only fit so much into a truck and trailer. He called to check in while I was over at Livingston Brook Farm, enjoying their fireplace and anticipating a grand meal. We were having some of my farm's chicken, Mark's beans and potatoes, roasted carrots, and homemade cranberry sauce. It was a meal to be reckoned with and I had not reckoned since breakfast. So I was ready to eat, drink, and be merry when the phone rang.

Brett sounded happy but exhausted. He wasn't sure what to do with the calf as he had not got it to take to the bottle and he seemed to be nursing from his mother (if he was there to supervise and assist). Or, at least that's what I think he said? Between the new calf, traveling south to Cold Antler, the new horse, PHD work, a storm in the works, finding farm care for the holiday, cooking a ham on time, and everything else–he seemed a bit out of sorts. I told him to do whatever made his holiday more enjoyable for him. If that meant bringing the calf so he could keep an eye on it, do that. If it meant getting a farm sitter and leaving him there, then do that. And If it meant staying home and not worrying about anything but dinner on the table, then do that.

So I have no idea what is in store for Christmas. Brett could show up with Sadie the mare and Atlas the ram in a horse trailer, or a newborn calf. He may not show up at all too. I have a feeling he will. Over the years of knowing him I have learned one solid truth: once he decides to do something, it's getting done. My guess is he'll show up with a ram, a six-pack of stout beer, and a defrosted ham. That's Brett's story. And here is mine. I am thirty years old and feeling like the kid waiting for surprises under the tree on Christmas morning. Will I get to see a pony? A baby cow? A red shiny new horse cart? Will I get to see the ram I raised last summer? The possibilities are out there and no matter the outcome (pun ahead, sorry)— it's a Wonderful Life.

Sometimes this farm, and all it is to me, seems to be a bridge between adulthood and childhood. I mean that in the best ways possible. A place that connects me to experiences and emotions I lost long ago. We all lose them, never on purpose. You grow too thick a skin while your teens and twenties mess with you. It's self preservation. But as I get older I am learning to appreciate a little wonder and naiveté. It may be dangerous at times, even reckless, but it keeps me feeling alive.

Excited for Christmas morning at thirty? You better believe it.

21 Comments:

Blogger WillowBrookFarm said...

Merry Christmas Jenna!

December 24, 2012 at 11:17 PM  
Blogger WillowBrookFarm said...

Merry Christmas Jenna!

December 24, 2012 at 11:18 PM  
Blogger Paul Molnar said...

Great sentiment. I'm ten years ahead of you in age but just now learning the same things. Here's to appreciating the small wonders that really make a life worth living! Merry Christmas!

December 24, 2012 at 11:27 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Merry Christmas Jenna

December 24, 2012 at 11:31 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Merry Christmas Jenna!

December 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

Great post, Jenna. Let us know what happens, I'm on the edge of my seat. Merry Christmas.

December 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM  
Blogger Ngo Family Farm said...

Merry Christmas, Jenna! May you forevermore feel that sense of wonder and magic in your heart.
Peace,
Jaime

December 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM  
Blogger Little Dash Rambler said...

Merry Christmas, Jenna! May you always have your hearts desire!

December 25, 2012 at 12:50 AM  
Blogger kwdiving said...

Merry Christmas Jenna. I will be 50 in march, and I still get excited and filled with anticipation for Christmas morning. Hang on to those feelings, they are precious.

December 25, 2012 at 6:09 AM  
Blogger kwdiving said...

Merry Christmas Jenna. I will be 50 in march, and I still get excited and filled with anticipation for Christmas morning. Hang on to those feelings, they are precious.

December 25, 2012 at 6:10 AM  
Blogger Moose Hollow Farm said...

Merry Christmas, Jenna & Cold Antler Farm.

December 25, 2012 at 6:22 AM  
Blogger Sol said...

Merry Christmas Colder Antler Farm! I hope the calf comes to lunch!

December 25, 2012 at 6:53 AM  
OpenID JustAnotherGraphicsGirl said...

Merry Christmas Jenna - may all your dreams come true! JAGG

December 25, 2012 at 7:28 AM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

Merry Christmas, Jenna! I hope your day is all the you wish for and Santa brings you lots of goodies!

Tiffany*

December 25, 2012 at 7:50 AM  
Blogger Morning Glory said...

Merry Christmas Jenna and all your wonderful little animals at Cold Antler Farm

December 25, 2012 at 7:51 AM  
Blogger Karen Rickers said...

The merriest of Christmases, Jenna!

December 25, 2012 at 8:28 AM  
Blogger kathie said...

Merry Amazing Christmas Jenna and all at CAF!

December 25, 2012 at 8:48 AM  
Blogger Patsy said...

Merry Christmas Jenna and may God be with you.

December 25, 2012 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger doglady said...

I'm almost 67 and I had the best surprise in 20 years. Santa Claus, assisted by my son, delivered two Nigerian whethers to me this morning. So being excited for Christmas at 30 is perfect.

December 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM  
Blogger Lorie Hyten, adult services said...

Merry Christmas Jenna! I wish you a magic holiday at 30. at almost 6o, I wish me one too. Later today I will bundle up and head to the stable where I board River, loaded with carrots and apples and his heavy winter blanket. After that there will be movies and food and visiting with friends. A good day in any season.

December 25, 2012 at 11:24 AM  
Blogger karen said...

Merry Christmas Jenna! I am in my late 50's and still love Christmas morning and all the anticipation of what will be under the tree and my love gifts being received. I hope I never stop feeling like that and hope you never do either. Peace and love to you and your animal family-Karen from CT

December 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home