Monday, November 12, 2012

What They Call For

It was a beautiful morning, out there doing chores, but weird. Unsettling in how warm it was. They want it 67+ degrees here today in the North Country. It'll be sunny and feel like August twilight all day and there's a 100% chance of being on horseback. Tonight they want rain through the day, possibly turning into snow Tuesday when they want it back in the teens.

My old boss used to laugh when I described forecasts as "they want it" instead of "they're calling for" I shrugged. That's how we talked about weather in my part of Pennsylvania. We assumed the weathermen wanted to be correct, I suppose.

That photo is from yesterday, of a mile walk taken with friends out to a lake and back. It felt sublime. A perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon. The dogs romped and swam in the lake and the us people talked about people things (mostly hunting). It was wonderful, but like I said, felt a little odd. I am more comfortable tucked into layers of sweaters and canvas in November than taking a walk in a t-shirt. These Days of Grace are really leaning in hard, teasing us. I have a hunch this winter is going to be a tough one. I think this is just the calm before the snowstorms. In four weeks there will be frozen water troughs in hand-deep mud and a snowblower puttering past the front drive. That's my fine guess, anyway.

Though I'm not sure basing weather predictions on Mother Nature's subterfuge is an accurate model for forecast—it is what I want. Good enough for the great commonwealth of Pennsylvania is good enough for me.

11 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

ugh! Hate this weather in November. I don't really want snow now but cold weather is welcomed.

November 12, 2012 at 8:28 AM  
Blogger Glyndalyn said...

I think we are in for a real winter here in Middle TN. All the signs point that direction. And we are prepared.

November 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger CAD said...

For some reason I really like hearing about what "they want" for the weather. Maybe because my mom's family is from PA and NY state and some of my fondest childhood memories are from visits there.

Now I'm not sure what I want for the weather now. I'm enjoying these in between days, when I can still get outside with the toddler & baby without too much fuss and the chickens' can still scratch in the dirt, but I know the winter will bring its own beauty.

November 12, 2012 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger Ashling said...

Well, Goddess knows 'forecast' is teh wrong word given the vast inaccuracies, so saying "they want it" works for me! As for me "I want it" to be far more seasonal...I want crisp & cold November weather now, not the almost 70 we had yesterday & will see today!

November 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM  
Blogger kandy Gray said...

good god! at first glance at the picture i thought you were with baby bare... then i realized it was a husky...

November 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger ican said...

Hmm, I'm in NYS and have never heard the term "they want" regarding weather forecasting. Speaking of, I have heard it's going to be a warmer, drier-than-usual winter this year. Again.

As much as I enjoy crisp fall days, it sure was great to get more firewood split and stacked yesterday - we're two winters out now! :-)

November 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger Joleen said...

Enjoy that warm before the storm Jenna. We had 30" of snow in some parts of Salt Lake City this weekend, 50+ inches at the ski resorts. Winter is coming your way :)

November 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger Joleen said...

Enjoy that warm before the storm Jenna. We had 30" of snow in some parts of Salt Lake City this weekend, 50+ inches at the ski resorts. Winter is coming your way :)

November 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger Ab said...

The.shift in the weather in the.last 20-30 years really scares me. I think t shirts in Nov. is the new normal. I'm hoping for snow soon too, regardless.

November 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I like that way to word a weather forecast. Here in Oregon.. the days are not unpredictable. They want rain today, tomorrow, and the next day. :) I want sunshine myself, or a little anyway. But i too could live without 60 something degrees in November. That's just weird. lol

November 12, 2012 at 3:37 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I have noticed before that you always call the weather forecasts 'they want it...' I wasn't sure if it was a Jenna-ism or more widespread in the US (I'm in the UK), but either way I like it :)

November 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home