Thursday, November 8, 2012

Two Fires & A Lockout!

It's a Two Fire Night here at the homestead. For those of you who are new readers (Or confused, sorry!) This little 2-story white farmhouse is heated by two little wood stoves and that is my main source of winter heat. One is in my living room, a chunky rectangle of beauty called the Vermont Bun Baker. It's a stove with a built in bread oven and range. It heats up three downstairs rooms and the main house by itself. It's not a huge stove, only a 14-inch box, but because the living area of my house is 6 small rooms in 1,000 square feet of space it is more than enough to keep me comfortable. In the mud room there is a trusty Vermont Castings Dutch West stove and that was here when I bough the place. It lives within 10 feet of the houses plumbing, all of it. Since the only pipes in the house live here (at the convergence of bathroom, kitchen, and laundry all back-to-back by several walls) it is the real work horse stove. If I lost power, or didn't have any heating oil, it would keep pipes from freezing and the bathroom and kitchen comfortable.

Anyway, tonight is a Two Fire Night because both stoves are roaring as the temperatures drop into the teens. It's a comforting job, keeping them going, and especially comfortable after locking myself out of the house at sunset and needing to call a local tow-service to help me out....

See, I stupidly locked my car with the keys in it. The truck and house keys. I usually hide a spare set outside the house but it turns out I hid it so well I couldn't find them. I called the police, and the police told me to call John.

John's Automotive is a towing company just up route 22, eight miles north or so. John was the man who came and took away the Subaru when it died. I sold it to him as a dead animal and he took it away. He remembered me from two winters ago when I called and said he would be right over. I couldn't believe my luck.

He arrived in fifteen minutes. I kept myself warm by doing all the nightly farm chores and checking on the animals with the time I had to fill. Moving hay and buckets of water kept me warm, but I was happy to see him when he pulled into the drive. In five minutes he opened the door with some aparati-of-rescue and when I asked him how much I owed him, he shrugged, and said "I dunno...twenty bucks?" I just blinked at him. Then went inside to get the truck. I thanked him over and over, and as he slipped the check into his wallet he said, "Well, I made money on that Subaru I bought from you. It's the least I could do." I smiled, shook his hand, and waved goodbye as he pulled out to fix another problem in Jackson. This place, I tell you...

So I'm here inside, warm as a fat cat, and grinning. I had a good dinner of homemade bread and hot soup and am about to tuck into a book and some quilts by the fire. Tomorrow, I'll get some spare keys made and take on some new projects, but for the now, a full stomach and rest.

Stay warm, Antlers.

10 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Glad it all worked out. Now that Jon and Maria are close by, maybe have them hold a spare?

Sleep tight (and warm) kiddo.

Cath

November 8, 2012 at 7:16 PM  
Blogger doglady said...

I locked my keys in my Yukon last spring at a SAR conference. It took the guys from Wilderness SAR Team about 5 minutes using wedges of wood and my radio antenna to unlock my door. While I thanked them, I also said you guys seem pretty well practiced. They laughed. At least now if I'm in some inaccessible place I can hopefully repeat what they did.

November 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger Hughes ap Williams said...

After Hurricane Sandy, a few days without electricity, and a Nor'easter with snow... we are appreciating keeping warm more than usual.

We are one of the lucky families who have a wood-burning fireplace and we had split extra firewood, but the living room was the only really comfortable place.

With electric garage door openers you had to be careful not to lock yourself out.

November 8, 2012 at 7:50 PM  
Blogger barbsbirds13 said...

Can't imagine anyone hasen't done that too. I've locked my dog in a car. SHe'd do anything for me but I couldn't find a way to ask her to unlock a door. Locked a car low on gas w/ motor running in a snow storm back when a wire coat hanger would work but no one in the nearby shopping mall had a wire coat hanger. Worst night mare is locking a little kid in a car - I haven't done that one

November 8, 2012 at 7:51 PM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

Toasty woodstoves, quilts and a book - sounds perfect ...and familiar! I've got the stove cranking and a quilt thrown over me, only tonight I'm catching up on the last season of The Closer rather than the usual book.

Enjoy your evening!

November 8, 2012 at 7:53 PM  
Blogger Glyndalyn said...

We, too, have the soap stone stove cranking. A book is waiting. A quilt is on the bed. Wild Thing, our cat, is lounging in a chair with my husband.

Wonderfully cozy here at the Phony Farm.

November 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

After locking my keys in my car a few too many times I decided that I would always always always lock it with the key/beeper thingy, and never with the button on the door. That way my muscle memory makes sure the key is in my hand when the car is locked. I trust my muscle memory more than I trust my brain. Same for the house, I always lock it with the key or with the key in my hand. Of course, I am a cautious woman and I believe in contingencies, so there are also spare house keys hidden away. :)

November 9, 2012 at 9:18 AM  
Blogger Wayne Jones said...

Nothing like the feeling of living in a small town. With a few exceptions its seems to me everyone is willing to help out as they never know when it might be them in need. Hang in there continue to look forward to your post.

November 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I pictured your house as much smaller. Have we had a house tour? I would love to see photos!

November 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

Oh the lock out! Bet you have an extra set located now!

November 10, 2012 at 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home