Thursday, November 15, 2012

Readers Made My Reader

What you are looking at is a combination of two readers I met at the Mother Earth News Fair and their lives and skills...and an e-reader. I used the alpaca wool from one reader to make the sleeve, and the left-over yarn from some hand-knit socks from another to do the monogramming. Together these two women, and the wonderful people at Battenkill Books, created a little case and machine (I call it the Book 'Gin) to bring a whole new world of reading and education to this farm. I can't thank them enough! I love that my readers are protecting my reader.

I knit up the case because yesterday I was reading it outside and noticed hay and flakes of wood ash on the nice, white, frame of the story. I'm not proud of material possessions, and don't care much about scrapes and scratches but this little thing was expensive and I wanted it to last a good long while. I was wearing a sweater and noticed all the hay and ash on myself, and realized the little gadget just needed a sweater, too. You know, a little homesteader's touch. I gave it my initials (with antlers, of course) and now as it follows me around my farm it is a little safer from horse drool, hay chaff, mud and rain.

7 Comments:

Blogger MIB said...

I don't know if you or any others in the CAF community are Doctor Who fans, but my favorite pattern for something like this (one which I totally plan to make myself) is an iPod/iPad/whatever cover that looks like the Tardis--you know, because what with all the data these things hold, they're "bigger on the inside"!

November 15, 2012 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger MIB said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 15, 2012 at 12:13 PM  
OpenID geckoontheroad said...

Which Kobo did you get? The mini or the bigger one?

November 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I have the mini!

November 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Gotta love Islands in the Sea of Time! I even like that more than the "Dies the Fire" series.

November 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Admit it. You love horse drool.

November 16, 2012 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger shrlckhlms said...

Love the arms of the W made into antlers! So clever.

November 17, 2012 at 11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home