Thursday, November 29, 2012

Okay

I've been up around 36 hours. I just came inside from carrying a sick sheep up a hillside, medicating it, and setting it up with fresh bedding, food, and water. It was the grand finale to a very, very long day. When that good task was completed I said a few words of support and kissed her forehead, and then set about the night rounds on the farm.

I fixed some of the horses' fence. I carried buckets of water, and hay bales, and set up new mineral blocks in plastic basins. The pigs were tucked in. The goats were nickering between mouthfuls of hay. Somewhere in the distance I heard a hunter's gunshot. Everything hurts. I'm out of energy and out of breath. None of this is a complaint. Everyone in my care is as okay as they can be right now. All of this is a prayer.

I'm taking a deep breath.
I'm drinking a big glass of water.
I'm sitting next to my fire.
I'm stretching out tired muscles.
I'm hoping for the best.
I'm happiest wanting.

So here's to desire. Shepherd Out.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chautauqua said...

J -- you are brave and strong and I admire you. When my children were young and life was stressful; and later, when I managed a very busy law office; my favorite expression, the one that brought me peace and stability was, "This, too, shall pass" .... and yes, they all passed and are now distance memories, to be replaced by new stresses, which also shall pass. Breathe. You continue to amaze me. Blessings of our Great Universe upon you.

November 29, 2012 at 6:35 PM  
OpenID T. Crockett said...

I'm sending this, the loving kindness meditation your way. Since there's no way you'll hear my words, you can listen to Sylvia Boorstein say them
http://blog.onbeing.org/post/5269242242/lovingkindness-metta-meditation-with-sylvia-boorstein

November 29, 2012 at 6:36 PM  
Blogger seagoddess said...

Warm thoughts to you, the ewe, and the entire farm.

November 29, 2012 at 6:47 PM  
Blogger kathie said...

Jenna I hope you are sleeping,sounds like you have done all you can so take care of you now.
Have you ever tried a plastic sled to move a down sheep? (You do not even need snow on the ground) .


November 29, 2012 at 9:29 PM  
Blogger Ruth Dixon said...

Time for a nap, me thinks! The life of a farmer is something we always dreamed about, then we started living it, right. You are right where you are supposed to be.

November 29, 2012 at 10:00 PM  
Blogger Kris Watson said...

Absolutely amazing. I think I am too old to even READ what you did today. You are SUCH an inspiration.

November 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home