Tuesday, November 13, 2012

JOIN THE PLAID MOB: NOVEMBER 26!

We all know about Black Friday, that day of rampant consumerism and angry mobs running over their fellow men for a half priced Furbie. It's depressing to even think about, but did you know about the alternative, Plaid Friday? Plaid Friday is a movement to get people out of the malls and big box stores and into their local town's shopfronts. By dedicating a day of support to your local community, you can make a huge difference in the lives of your neighbors and neighborhood. I pledge to buy all my Yuletide gifts from downtown Cambridge, my local one-stop shopping center. With several gift shops and services (dance lessons, massage, restaurants, etc) I can get gifts for gift cards for everyone on my list.

In the honor of Plaid Friday, myself and a few other local authors have decided to join up and rally support with a Cash Mob for Battenkill Books! On Monday, November 26th (The famed Cyber Monday of online shopping) you can call or email Connie of Battenkill Books (my local indie store) and get a signed copy of Barnheart, Made From Scratch, or Chick Days with whatever personalized message you want in it from me. GIbson will also sign the books with his paw print, and no other store in America can offer you that!

I know a lot of you like to support your own local stores, as you should. But consider sending a little cash this way as well. Connie's store is fighting the good fight in a small down of 1800 people, using every inch of stubbornness and effort of will to keep her small Main Street shop afloat in an Amazon age. If you live in a fairly large city with an affluent and successful shop, maybe a little of your Holiday gift giving cash can come to Washington County, where you can get something really special, a personalized book from our community of local authors: Me, Jon Katz, James Howard Kunstler, Megan Mayhew Bergman. You already know me, but do you know Jon, Jimmy, and Meg?

Check them out and perhaps a copy of World Made By Hand or Birds of a Lesser Paradise could line your tree's plump and gifty bottom! All these authors will be signing books, from Jon's children's books to Jimmy's Peak Oil Preps!

You can also order Kobos, ebooks, gift cards, prints, and other items at Battenkill Books. And anyone who order's a signed copy of my books gets thrown into a drawing for $250 worth of homesteading books from Storey Publishing! Pretty rad, guys. So what do you say? Anyone willing to support BB this Monday? I'll be there between 12-2PM if you want to call and say hello. We can chat about how good we look in plaid.

P.S. Read Jon's Post on Plaid Friday Here!

18 Comments:

Blogger Stacie said...

Hey, sweet! That's a good idea. I'm hoping to only buy local, used, or handmade stuff for Christmas. It seems so much more meaningful when you know the money is spent supporting someone else running after their dreams.

November 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger B's Mom said...

Small Business Saturday has been really advertised in PA. It is the day after Black Friday, and its mission is to support small, local businesses.

November 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM  
Blogger Moose Hollow Farm said...

Great minds think alike ~ I have been posting reminders on my Facebook page about the need to shop our local merchants & craftsmen. I even posted a link to NH Made which is a website for local craftsmen. It's the only way to get quality goods while helping keep small businesses afloat. I hope that Battenkill Books has a wonderful Plaid Friday. In order to help our own economy (since the government has no clue of how to go about it), we must help these businesses thrive by supporting them all year.

November 13, 2012 at 7:30 PM  
Blogger Liz Nienaber said...

World made by hand is one of my favorite books! It was the book that really made me stop and think that maybe I could use a few more skills. Because really, no skill is wasted. Your books/blog keep me on that track. Thanks. I think I know what books will be under my tree.

November 13, 2012 at 7:54 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

I wore plaid today. A scarf in my mother's clan tartan. :)

November 13, 2012 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 13, 2012 at 8:48 PM  
OpenID vintageandhandcraftedinnovascotia said...

This is the way of the future - we must support or own small rural communities. I passed through my local 'shopping' town yesterday and noticed two retailers - a farm market and a small hardware store both gone out of business - that makes 4 key buildings vacant in our downtown core. All victims of malls and big box stores.
Buy vintage and handmade and buy local - use it or lose it!

November 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

I have high hopes that Plaid Friday will catch on better than International Buy Nothing Day. Apparently that's too much of a reach from Black Friday-love converting it into Plaid Friday.

November 13, 2012 at 9:44 PM  
Blogger PansWife said...

It's also best to pay with cash or checks instead of credit cards that give an unearned cut to the banks.

November 13, 2012 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Here in Michigan we also have Small Business Saturday, but I like Plaid Friday better. Guess I'll enjoy both days!

November 14, 2012 at 5:29 PM  
Blogger Olli said...

This is wonderful!! I will definitely be participating as well as encouraging neighbors to participate in Plaid Friday. What an exciting alternative! I used to work in a small chain bookstore~ times are tough.

November 15, 2012 at 1:51 AM  
Blogger Olli said...

What a wonderful thing! I love this and and am ALL for supporting local business~ especially when it comes to books. I will definitely be participating, as well as spreading the word :D

November 15, 2012 at 1:53 AM  
Blogger Olli said...

This is wonderful!! I will definitely be participating as well as encouraging neighbors to participate in Plaid Friday. What an exciting alternative! I used to work in a small chain bookstore~ times are tough.

November 15, 2012 at 1:53 AM  
Blogger Abby said...

My high school students keep asking me if I'm "going to Black Friday" like its a place! So funny. I tell them none of those stores have anything I'm interested in buying. I plan to go to a crafts festival that day with my family and buy gifts directly from the artists.

And my shirt will be plaid.

November 15, 2012 at 12:34 PM  
Blogger katiegirl said...

Like Abby said, don't forget to support your local artisans and crafters as well! Etsy is a good place to find local ones, or you can just find local craft shows! There are lots of us crafters who depend on holiday sales for our small businesses!

November 16, 2012 at 6:55 PM  
Blogger Emma Smaldino said...

I like how you are extending the Plaid Friday/Mob to the Monday after Thanksgiving. Here in Fort Collins, CO, Be Local Northern Colorado has helped organize our second annual Plaid Friday & Plaid Friday Marketplace, with 100 local independent businesses participating in the Plaid Friday awesomeness. Here is a link to all of the the businesses with their special one day deals (note: none are open at midnight): http://www.belocalnc.org/plaid-friday/

November 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM  
Blogger Emma Smaldino said...

I love how you are extending Plaid Friday/Mob to the Monday after Thanksgiving. Here in Fort Collins, CO, Be Local Northern Colorado is organizing the second annual Plaid Friday & Plaid Friday Marketplace with 100 participating local independent businesses! In case you're interested, here is a link to all of those businesses and their great one day deals (note: none of them are open at midnight): http://www.belocalnc.org/plaid-friday/

November 18, 2012 at 1:20 PM  
Blogger Emma Smaldino said...

I love how you are extending Plaid Friday/Mob to the Monday after Thanksgiving. Here in Fort Collins, CO, Be Local Northern Colorado is organizing the second annual Plaid Friday & Plaid Friday Marketplace with 100 participating local independent businesses! In case you're interested, here is a link to all of those businesses and their great one day deals (note: none of them are open at midnight): http://www.belocalnc.org/plaid-friday/

November 18, 2012 at 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home