Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Jasper In a Saddle! Mongolian Superstar!

I have been working with both the horses these past few days. Merlin is getting back in shape from his hay-buffet break since Antlerstock and Jasper is just starting to leave the world of pasture pet into working animal again. Now, Jasper has always been used here and there for light farm work. He's pulled logs, (half this year's firewood) a turkey tractor Brett made, and kept Merlin in line as his companion. But after that talk with Trainer/Farrier Dave I decided to start doing more with this amazing litle horse.

I was told today by a friend about the riders in Mongolia, famously using smaller horses for packing, racing, and saddle. The images online are astounding of these grown men and women on small ponies, racing across the tundra desert! I won't be racing Jasper anywhere, but I did hop on his back yesterday to see how he felt about it. He just kinda stood there and then walked in a circle. He was confused and I didn't have a bridle on him, so there wasn't much direction to give but he seemed just fine. Perhaps Jasper is my Mongolian Superstar! I doubt it, but it sure would be great to have a second horse that children and small adults could ride or pony along with Merlin and I on the mountain.

In weather-related news. Still no snow, but I hear tale of a Nor'Easter? I think that means just a lot of freezing rain, squalls of snow, and *maybe* some accumulation. I hope so. I am dreaming of a white Friday...

photo from this article on the Nat Geo blog

3 Comments:

Blogger Trish said...

What a beautiful pony! I read the comments on your previous post about riding this pony. I know people are trying to help but people have to trust that you know what you're doing.

November 8, 2012 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger seagoddess said...

Handsome boy!

November 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger Glyndalyn said...

You got on Jasper without a bridle? Ha! Good work.

November 8, 2012 at 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home