Monday, November 26, 2012

Cyber Monday Cash Mob

Today is the infamous Cyber Monday. As someone who spent the last eight years working for online retailers, I have seen this go from a catchphrase noted after marketing reports came back from Black Friday sales to a National Holiday. Right now most of us are looking for bargains online, be it at work, school or at home.

I'm not against it, not in the least. I think it's great if you can get a deal online today. I myself got an electric fireplace for my bedroom, to keep the place comfy when I know the woodstoves are too weak to pump heat upstairs. It looks like a little parlor stove with fake flames and I'm sure I'll feel like one of those people in the Amish Fireplace infomercials as I drift off to sleep. But I got it for 50% off. Yay America.

So we all know today is Cyber Monday. But did you know here in the middle of powder-sugar coated farm country there's another big sales event going on? It's Cash Mob day at Battenkill Books. I'll be heading down to the store with Gibson from 12-2PM and you are free to call me up and say hello, and order a signed book while you're at it. You can even tell me what to write in it over the phone and you can listen to me make Gibson put his paw into a stamp pad to sign it as well. (You can *almost* hear his eye's rolling.) And if you already have a signed book of mine, you can get a signed book of Jon Katz's or Megan B. You can order the new scary book from James Howard Kunstler. And if non-fiction about peak oil isn't your bag you can order his novel World Made By Hand, which is about what Cambridge would be like if America's economy collapses and we lived back in the post-oil lifestyle again. I love that book. It's like walking into another dimension, my own county but where everyone gets to town in a horse-drawn buggy and farming is the new aristocracy. It's a trip.

Anyway, You can call or email Connie at Battenkill Books and order anything you like. She will also wrap it and mail it wherever you wish. So if your cousin in Tampa needs a good book, send her a wrapped copy of Rose In The Storm or maybe get your Mother In Law a Kobo? Supporting this little store makes a big difference and keeps me and my local community of writers and booksellers in tip-top shape. And if yuou balk at the idea of helping a distant "local" store, I understand. Think of it this way. Is your local bookstore in the middle of a town of 1800 rural people during deer season? Connie can use all the support she can get!

Contact Info:
Battenkillbooks.com
info@battenkillbooks.com
# 518-677-2515

7 Comments:

Blogger Melanie Allen said...

I consider Battenkill Books to be my "local" bookstore, even though it is 2955 miles from where I live. It is such a pleasure to email or phone and feel like part of the extended family. I got into Battenkill's cash mob line early this morning and have nearly completed all of my holiday shopping (including a gift for myself!)thanks to Connie. And thanks to you, Jenna, and Gibson and Jon and everyone who supports your community and your book store.
Melanie in California

November 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

I can vouch for the stellar customer service from Battenkill. I ordered a Kobo Mini last week and have already read halfway through my first book. I love it and Connie was awesome! I couldn't find a LOCAL independent bookstore that carried Kobos down here in Georgia. Most of the ones around us and in Chattanooga have closed down, sadly. So, it was nice to have the Battenkill option, since you speak so highly of the store. Thanks to you and Connie!

November 26, 2012 at 2:24 PM  
Blogger Mayleen said...

This is totally off-topic except for your comment about getting the wood heat upstairs. A friend of mine put small grills/grates in her upstairs floors to allow the heat to go up from her downstairs woodstove. It met code requirements (if that matters...)and really helped! Of course, they are kinda like spy-holes, and you want to be aware of how much dust/crud falls through them, but I think they are dandy :)

November 26, 2012 at 2:34 PM  
Blogger Kristen Judkins said...

I love the cash mob idea for your local bookstore. I hope it really helps get their holiday sales rolling.

One thought I've had while reading your blog over time is about your heat situation. I live in a small house about the size of yours 1100 sq ft, with one small VT Castings woodstove. After I did some insulation work on my house, that one little stove keeps my house at 70 or warmer, without being filled overnight. It seems like with 2 woodstoves you should have plenty of heat. I would recommend that you consider investing in some insulation. That would help your wood go a lot further. I'm burning about 2 cords less wood, not using the furnace at all, and my house is almost too warm, upstairs and down. Just my 2 cents.
Happy Holidays.

November 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger Debra Fox said...

I have one of those electric stoves in my kitchen. They are cheap to run and provide a surprising amount of heat.

November 26, 2012 at 2:50 PM  
OpenID T. Crockett said...

One of the many fond memories I have of last year's wool event at Jenna's, is spending my first evening in town at Battenkill Books. The selection of local authors is incredible. They also have all sorts of great reader/writer oriented stuff like note cards and banned books jewelry. I bought a lot of "souveniers" that evening. It was cozy and delightful and I've been happy to continue shopping there now that I'm back home in MA. Connie even arranged a signed copy of The Homemade Pantry to be sent to me when the author did a book reading there.

November 26, 2012 at 9:41 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

We use one of those electric stoves to heat a back room. Works great and makes the room comfy and cozy.

November 26, 2012 at 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home