Thursday, November 15, 2012

Cider is bottled!

What you see here is the haul I bottled from my gallon and a half of hard cider. Not bad! For a few bucks in fresh-press and some basic home brewing supplies I was able to create all of this and just in time for Thanksgiving and holiday parties. All it really took was the cider, champagne yeast, some sanitizer, a fermenting bucket and airlock and some time. I think I did this around a month and a half ago? The bubbling took a whole week to start and then rumbled through Samhain and into November. When the bubbling stopped I let it sit a week to get to know itself better and today I bottled it into all sorts of bottles I had around the farmhouse. (I even put the extra in a little flask for the saddle bags!)

So what to do with the empty fermentor? Get another two gallons of cider and start brewing again! I also have a five gallon batch of sweet stout to get going as well if we want to enjoy it for Yuletide. It makes a great Christmas gift, a growler of homebrew in a cool container. Northern Brewer is selling these red plaid growlers for a few bucks and I hope to make that my main present for friends around here hosting parties and the like. Homemade, homebrewed, homeknit, or home baked is the way to go!

7 Comments:

Blogger Abby said...

How long will that cider in the flask keep its fizz? It is fizzy, right?

I really want to try doing this! I like a really spicy cider and have yet to find one on the market that I really enjoy.

November 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM  
Blogger Peacemom said...

Hi Jenna, thanks to you for the inspiration! I've got a gallon and a half still bubbling away after 3 weeks. I'll let you know how it comes out once I'm to the bottling stage! Can't wait to try my own! ~Vonnie

November 15, 2012 at 8:00 PM  
Blogger Rosetta Keith said...

Made 2 - 2 gallon buckets last week and is starting to bubble now. One question I have is how do you siphon it off into the bottles. I too am planning on giving some for Chritmas along with homemade jams, sauces, baked goods etc. I ordered my supplies from Northern Brewer and it was here in no time. Thanks for sharing and as always inspiring us

November 15, 2012 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger Rosetta Keith said...

I have 2- 2 gallon buckets fermenting for about a week now. They are just now starting to bubble. So I am hoping it turns out good. I ordered the supplies from Northern Brewer a s they were here in no time. I have one question how do you do the siphoning?
I am also doing a home made Christmas with gifts again this year. Thanks Jenna, for sharing and inspiring!

November 15, 2012 at 8:17 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

Hi Jenna....I have been following the blog for some time now and have to say you are a true inspiration.....I have recently acquired an allotment in Dublin and love growing all of the families veg for the best part of the year.....my next foray is into the world of homebrew...any chance you could post the hard cider recipe you follow please....keep up the good work.....Martin

November 16, 2012 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger Mare said...

Jenna that looks fantastic! I think i will give it a try. I looked up an old Polish recipe for homemade fruit cordials and have been making them like crazy for Christmas gifts. I used fresh fruit from the farmer's markets, vodka or brandy, a little sugar, and time to let it set. All of my testers say YUM! I'm having so much fun with this stuff...

November 16, 2012 at 2:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I bottled mine last night, though I ran out of bottles and had to leave some in the carboy. I used about a 4-foot length of food-grade clear tube to siphon the cider out of the carboy. I picked it up at the hardware store I then put the carboy up on the counter and placed half the hose in it. I then took the other half and dropped down to my knees on the floor. I sucked the tube and drew the cider down it like a straw. I then filled up the bottles on the floor, which were sitting a towel. It's wasn't pretty, but it worked well.

November 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home