Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Celtic Huntress


Someone left a comment about this painting, located in San Francisco presently, but painted in 1890 by George DeForest Brush. It's called A Celtic Huntress. And there she is, the fast fast dog herself, holding an arrow on one side and a canine on the other. I don't know this woman but I instantly identified with her stature, build, haircut, companion and hobby. I don't share the ginger locks but this is a woman after my own heart. Darken her hair a bit, give her a rounder nose, bigger boobs and a border collie and you have a modern Celtic Huntress. How funny. I had no idea a little bit of my spirit was in San Francisco. I bet Mr. Brush didn't think a bit of his painting's spirit was in Jackson.

Our stories aren't ours. They are the world's.

8 Comments:

Blogger CrankyPuppy said...

Thanks for sharing, as I fell in love instantly with this beautiful painting. You should pose for your own updated, modern version. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

November 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM  
Blogger e.m.b. said...

That last line...right on. And even death cannot take them away.

November 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger NANCY LEWIS said...

I think she speaks for the ideal woman: strength, grace, sexuality. No-nonsense, seductive femininity. The real kind. Oh, and the kind that probably scares men.....

November 28, 2012 at 8:24 PM  
Blogger NANCY LEWIS said...

I left out another important word: AUTHENTIC.

November 28, 2012 at 8:35 PM  
OpenID kindsofhoney said...

I agree with e.m.b. - great last two lines. Yes.

November 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM  
Blogger 2 Punk Dogs said...

I have the hair and the brindle dog!

November 28, 2012 at 11:54 PM  
Blogger Big Sky Chicken Ranch and Victory Garden said...

The world needs more bad-ass women like this! She looks like she means business...

November 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM  
Blogger redhorse said...

And she has glow in the dark white skin too.

November 30, 2012 at 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home