Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Trading It All In?

Back in the high twenties tonight, not as cold as I'd like it but a fine temperature. It's a temperature of change and possibilities. Possibilities like a blustery wind of flurries, or the death of all the pesky flies, or maybe a new type of dough in my woodstove's bread oven. I have been craving soda bread and just watched a man on the BBC use Guinness instead of buttermilk and added baked apples and a cheddar crust. Can you imagine the divine bite! A crusty sweat apple bread loaded with cheese and the savory tang of that black nectar? I have fallen in love with cooking good food. Fallen hard. I now eat less than before but everything is precious, quality, and made with the intentions of wholesome fortifying nutrition. Well, you know, most of the time. I can eat some boozy soda bread too.

Been working outdoors a lot this afternoon. General stuff that needs to be done like picking up any old trash the mud brought to the surface and fixing fences, but also work like turning over the gardens before the earth freezes and sleeps. Most of the hard graft was dumping all the stock tanks and refilling them with buckets of clean well water.

While I did this the sheep and horses grazed together in the back pasture. On these chilly days it sometimes feels like another country or time. A black prehistoric looking horses sharing a meal near prehistoric looking sheep. It warms me up, regardless of how cold the night gets. I'm so drawn to their world, work, and smells. I love the way Merlin smells after a long ride, all sweaty and warm. I love the way the Blackface horn's feel in my hands. I love the cart rides, and lambing season, and the way those new lambs smell against your chest on a cold spring morning. I think about all the choices that got me here, and keep me here, and I try to think of something that someone could offer me that would make me turn over my riding boots and shepherd's crook and you know what comes to mind?

Absolutely nothing.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Just so you know - my barnheart is seriously acting up.

October 16, 2012 at 2:59 PM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

Mmmm...sounds good to me!

October 16, 2012 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger *jean* said...

good to know...you help me remember so much of my well spent youth...horse nuzzles and puppy breath...priceless

October 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

LOVE IT!!! I am getting to where the only place I want to be is home, with my family and animals!

October 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM  
Blogger English sheep gal said...

well that was a relief - I saw the title of the post, and had a moment of panic you WERE trading it all in! Glad you dont have any plans to - need my daily CAF 'fix'

October 16, 2012 at 9:11 PM  
Blogger maddie said...

doesn't good food taste absolutely amazing?! I bought some home grown Canadian red fife wheat soda bread today and learned a little about gluten intolerance from a man at the farmer's market....not to mention some honey to coat it in to make it extra delicious.

October 16, 2012 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Ngo Family Farm said...

Goodness, October really IS your month! So much joy in your posts these days. It's wonderful, and so inspiring to see someone live the life she is meant to have :)
-Jaime

October 16, 2012 at 11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home