Sunday, October 28, 2012

Showing Us The Ropes

That's patty and her working partner, Steele. She's showing us the basics of a working horse collar and how to measure and fit it. Yesterday's workshop dedicated to working horses was wonderful. Everyone who was there got a chance to ride or drive, feel and carry harnesses, grab onto hames, pet a pony or lead a near-ton of massive Percheron. Folks from Ontario, Chicago, New York, Vermont and Massachusetts came and the night ended with a campfire story hour where we passed along a lit-up copy of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and read Irving's tale aloud as guitars or fiddles jostled about in the background. Magical.

I'll write more on it later today. I'll also post videos and pictures as people email them in. Right now I just wanted to check in and let you know it was a fine time, and in a few minutes I'll be heading out the door for archery practice and some feed pickups. My team has a few more weekends before it gets too cold to enjoy an afternoon outdoors. As a Marshall in Training I need to go and learn the ropes of a proper SCA host of the sport.

6 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

Oh no! We're missing archery? Dang it.

And yes, it was totally amazing and wonderful yesterday. As always.

October 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

Oh, and I love the cat dashing by in the background of the picture. :)

October 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

I hope you aren't in the path of Hurricane Sandy. We are battening down the hatches up north in Ontario, though we won't get hit nearly as hard.

October 28, 2012 at 4:43 PM  
Blogger DarcC said...

I had a great day with great people and fabulous horses! Thanks again!

October 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM  
Blogger rabbit said...

Sandy beat me home (to Muskoka) today-Riley said its been raining since yesterday! And I too love Yeti slinking past in the photo! Another big time was had for sure!

October 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM  
Blogger rabbit said...

Sandy beat me home (to Muskoka) today-Riley said its been raining since yesterday! And I too love Yeti slinking past in the photo! Another big time was had for sure!

October 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home