Friday, October 5, 2012

Send a Hallowe'en Greeting!

The Celts believed Hallowe'en was the Agricultural New Year, and so it was their New Year's Eve. Back then their life revolve entirely around farming, and when you live in a harsh four-season climate like the Highlands, you see the year differently. I mean, look at it this way, if you worked your bum off the entire summer just to survive the winter you'd see that timespan as fairly important. When the first frosts came and killed the life in the fields, leaving you only what you had reaped and stored...you would feel like the year was over too. That's why the gaeilc word for November 1st's Holiday was Samhain (Sow-an). It translated literally into Summer's End. It was a a harvest festival and a time to remember those who you lost since last winter. A lively wake, and a time of bonfires, music, stories and magic.

I started getting Halloween cards in the mail last week and they keep on coming. It's a nice tradition here, and that I have like minded friends who think Summer's End is a darn good reason to reflect and smile. My cards are lined up in my living room, just where I put my Christmas Cards when that season comes along.

Why not join me in the tradition? Send a Halloween card this year. The person who gets it will be delighted. I always try to stick a small gift like a packet of seeds in with it. I'm much more into the traditional holiday than the modern fun house/gore/garbage. I send seeds and tell people I love them. For a holiday all about food and community, not a bad way to go. If you don't celebrate Halloween/Samhain why not just send a nice fall note card to friends or family for no reason other than to say you love them and am thinking about them? If you want to send a Summer's End greeting here, mail it to:

Jenna Woginrich
Cold Antler Farm
Jackson, NY 12816

9 Comments:

Blogger Becca at Rabbit Moon Farm said...

I think i have a card to pick up. :)

October 5, 2012 at 9:20 AM  
Blogger Katou said...

Jenna, that address isn't enough for people sending you things from Canada because my Christmas card to you last year came back with the mention "adress not complete" or something like that.

Have a nice week-end!

October 5, 2012 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger Molly Piper said...

Sweet! Once in awhile I still read the story of your grandma, "she created what she needed, she created a community." Seems to run in the family! And it's also a story I pass on to friends.

October 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger Goat Song said...

Sounds fun! Methinks I will have to put a card in the mail soon and have it head towards Jackson County... ;)

Is there any way that we could do this card/seed swap betwixt us readers as well? I don't know how many folks would be comfortable with sharing their address on a public site, but I'd be okay with it. :)

October 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger Ivanhoe said...

You may enjoy celebrating Halloween one way, but it doesn't make much sense to denigrate another way of celebrating. Even if your way is older. I'm not into gore/scary stuff either, though I do love the costume aspect. It's just great seeing people of all ages go about their day dressed up as various characters. It may not have anything to do with changing seasons, which is something that many modern societies certainly could stand to bring back in some way. But celebrating scary things, costumes, and summer's end are all fine to do. Maybe there should be three different holiday names for these things...

October 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Ooooo! Sendingone Sendingone. :D I love this time of year too. Native Mainer that i am. (I'm a Mainer sort-of-lost in Oregon for now.) I spent lots and lots of time at my grandparent's 500 acre farm when i was growing up. They were the most self-reliant and self sufficient two people i've ever met. Happy Summer's End to you, Jenna!

October 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

Woohoo! I'm in!
As we are in the middle of cutting, splitting and stacking firewood, I am in total agreement with the Celts...we need to celebrate!!

October 8, 2012 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

Woohoo! I'm in!
As we are in the middle of cutting, splitting and stacking firewood, I am in total agreement with the Celts...we need to celebrate!!

October 8, 2012 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

Woohoo! I'm in!
As we are in the middle of cutting, splitting and stacking firewood, I am in total agreement with the Celts...we need to celebrate!!

October 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home