Thursday, October 18, 2012

October Stories

It was warm today, too warm. In the sixties and sunny and that's all fine and dandy in September but come October I want sweaters and snow-kissed nights and a world shutting down for me to turn around three times and lie down in. Instead we got this burst of warmth and light and I supposed the best thing to do was enjoy it. I took Merlin out for a long fall ride through trail, forest, across stream and up a hillside out towards our rode. I love that horse, and what he has given me. He's a book in himself and one I can not wait to write.

We got home and he returned to Jasper and I let them both out into the back pasture. There in that amazing october light they grazed and swished their tails and told the silent stories horses tell with low heads and raised ears. I sat in the grass to listen, trying to hear whatever I could in the warm wind.

8 Comments:

OpenID rawketstarling said...

that sounds like pure heaven. a long fall ride was the perfect way to enjoy your day. glad to know this made you happy, jenna. one day, i too will ride a dream horse through the woods. until then, enjoy the hell out of it for us both.

October 18, 2012 at 5:35 PM  
Blogger Ashling said...

Definitely a day to gather & store up, like apples canned and set on a shelf until some Winter's day when you need that burst of sweet sunshine. Glad you enjoyed it!

October 18, 2012 at 5:58 PM  
Blogger seagoddess said...

Nice!

October 18, 2012 at 6:56 PM  
Blogger Monster Librarian said...

LOVELY POST!

October 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Okay, Jenna, I know you love your Octobers cold, but for those of us who still have a hard time with 8 months of winter, let's have a few more mild, sunny and beautiful October days! Reminds me of the Leo Lionni story with the mouse who gathers stories and colors to tell about in the middle of winter. Beautiful picture and post!

October 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM  
Blogger Becca at Rabbit Moon Farm said...

We've still got the AC running here in middle Georgia, with daytime temps still touching the 80's and nighttime temps only hitting into the 50's. I'm glad you took advantage of the weather.

October 18, 2012 at 9:15 PM  
Blogger Mary Schroeder said...

Wonderful. Sounds like a line from the book Warhorse (which I read and reread from the fifth grade to today).
Pray to whatever horse gods you believe in for our little Emilie's recovering (not exact but you get the point.)

One of my favorite sounds is listening to a horse chew his hay/grass. It is contentment.

October 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger sequoia rose said...

Beautiful! A warm October day is a gift, and horses a greater gift still.

October 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home