Wednesday, October 3, 2012

no birds, but a beautiful walk...


Blogger The Village Queen said...

Always nice to see a working dog. They are so happy doing what they are bred for. Ive never wanted to hunt myself, too much of a wimp about killing things but I sure dont mind eating them! A contradiction I know. But anything that gets people outside and into nature and fosters the desire to preserve the land from development and animal husbandry is a good thing in my book. Hows the color up there? Its amazing up in the NH north right now. Wish I was there.

October 3, 2012 at 2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you explain about the bell? I'm not a hunter so to my inexperienced ear a bell ringing in the woods on a hunt is akin to a group of kids swimming on top of your fishing hole while you're trying to fish. Can't your prey hear you coming a mile away? I'm curious. Thanks!

October 3, 2012 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Since in upland hunting you are flushing game (scaring it into flying up so you can shoot it) noise isn't bad. Here it helps scare up birds as well as let us know where the dog is at all times and how close or far away. And when he points out a bird, it stops! So silence is golden!

October 3, 2012 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

OK, Jenna. So many questions:
1) I know who Patty is - meaning that you blog about her and your adventures with her and Steele often. But WHO is this remarkable, interesting, and versatile woman? Please elaborate! She has horses that cart and haul, she has a hunting dog, she's here and there and everywhere in your daily life. What does she do? What's her background? Perhaps she can be a guest blogger now and then. I know I'd love to hear more about her. And Brett too for that matter. Still wondering what that's all about - wink, wink.
2) I was going to ask about the bell but I see another reader did already. I assumed it was to let other hunters know a dog was in the area and not a deer or...but your answer makes sense.

I guess I'll leave it at just two questions for now. Or really one. You get the idea. Thanks!

October 3, 2012 at 9:13 PM  
Blogger kandy Gray said...

i thought the bell was to keep the bairs away...

October 4, 2012 at 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home