Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Naan, Kittens, and Halloween

It took a while to get naan down. Now, a few trial and error meals later I think I have it in stride. I make a sweet bread dough with one egg and a quarter cup of sugar, a little milk and salt, and let it rise an hour. Then It is rolled out with flour strewn all over the counter into little pancakes the size of my hand. They are fried in a cast iron skilled in a bit of olive oil and then set on a plate, one by one, as they pile high. Tonight I'm making a quick yellow curry with veggies and cheese balls for Jon and Maria, who love Indian food as much as I do. Last night I made a lamb masala for Patty and Mark. This might just be an underground curry joint in a few weeks at this rate. I'm just kidding. Masala Farm is right up the road. If anyone was going to be a Washington County curry joint, it would be them.

I'm loving hosting friends for dinner. It's a big hoot, and sharing the farmhouse isn't something I get to do much of. A lot of folks come by the farm for workshops or visits, but not many are treated to meals and bottles of wine. It's a shame because if you want a seasonal outing I beat your local corn maze, no contest. Right now the inside of my house looks like a set from Harry Potter. There are brooms and crows, pumpkin lanterns and strings of Halloween greetings. There are gourds and leaves and cider-smelling pumpkins and a warm stove keeping off the wet chill. There's a little brassy kitten running amok and trying to chase Gibson's tail when he wags it. When he grabs it and bites down Gibson looks up at me with his ears back and eyes wide in pleading makethedemongoaway lady makeitgoaway. I pick up the little monster and set him closer to Annie. Annie doesn't tolerate fools and just rolls him aside with her jaws, which are roughly the same size as Bogh's entire body. I wouldn't call it a peacable kingdom, but the natives aren't restless. And the animals' antics combined with the fiddle music on the computer radio and the decor...the house takes me away.

I made this farmhouse from a fantasy. It is surrounded with things I love: antlers and crows, moons and dogs, autumn's smells of scented candles and saddle leather. The place is never really warm, but there is firelight and plenty of wool sweaters. As October gets ready for his final bow into Hallows, I'm here and ready for our last dance. With the big day getting closer I am hoping the weather holds out. A rainy Halloween is appropriate, I guess, for a day of reflection. But the Saturday before is all about horses and cookouts and working animals and I am hoping for some luck with the weather in that respect. The Farmer's Horse will happen rain or shine, so be prepared and dress for that, friends. If it is raining we will cancel the bonfire at night, but if it holds we'll tell stories and sip cider and enjoy some of the end of the fall together.

15 Comments:

Blogger kwdiving said...

What a gift you have. Thanks for sharing.

October 24, 2012 at 4:51 PM  
Blogger jason woodruff said...

im new to your blog but have been trying to catch up. we live on 80 acres in north texas and you have gotten my wheels turning. thanks for sharing.

October 24, 2012 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger jason woodruff said...

im new to your blog but have been catching up. we live on 80 acres in north texas and you have gotten my wheels turning. thanks for sharing.

October 24, 2012 at 5:20 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Wow! Jason Woodruff you are blessed with acreage! Jenna is an inspiration for sure and will definetly get you motivated!
I love your stories Jenna ☺

October 24, 2012 at 6:20 PM  
Blogger Christee said...

Hey Jenna!
Dinner sounds devine!

How much flour goes into your Naan recipe??

Thx!
Christee

October 24, 2012 at 6:29 PM  
OpenID janetgordon said...

this evening my house is blissfully warm due to wood heat - dry, scented and a delight this bright fall day.
Lots of wood available to lug inside - you can't beat the feeling of knowing you have your heat all ready bought and paid for and not sunject to the vagaries of big oil.
be warm tonight - you paint a lovely picture.

October 24, 2012 at 7:19 PM  
Blogger madpotter1 said...

Ha! The Leaky Cauldron swings from a beam in my kitchen. I love playing the kitchen wench :)

October 24, 2012 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I only just discovered naan a couple of years ago. I confess, I haven't made my own yet (I lack foresight, you see).

October 24, 2012 at 11:50 PM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

Sounds like the perfect setting!

October 25, 2012 at 6:24 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Would you share your recipe? We buy our naan (garlic) from the store but it's expensive and I'd like to try some homemade.

Laughing picturing the kitty and poor Gibson.

Thanks!

October 25, 2012 at 7:37 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

I've been away, moving house and 3 kids across state lines...congrats on the kitten, but are the Maine coon cats okay?

October 25, 2012 at 8:04 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Jill, George passed away in September. I think a heart attack. Lilly became an outdoor cat in the summer and has not been seen in a very long time. Boghadair is my only cat of record right now.

October 25, 2012 at 8:46 AM  
Blogger Greentwinsmummy said...

Regards the place never being warm, I always notice on USA blog photos that the homes seem to have enormously wide doorways but no doors....?I must admit I looked at photos of your sitting room thinking brr draughty lol! could you hang a big curtain across the door way?It could be left slightly to one side so the hounds can slip in and out x

Here in Blighty I don't think anyone has a warm house! We make good use of thick curtains, pulling at dusk to ensure heat doesnt leak out, most homes here have small rooms so not too hard to heat one room, my woodburner currently has my sitting room at a snug 27degrees lol!!!! My bedroom at the other end of the cottage is a rather cooler 14........!!!!! Praise be for woodburners, and electric blankets because its so cold down there things feel damp, they are not, just cold, but since getting an electric blanket I slide into bed every day with a smile {grin}

Many now cannot afford to heat their homes, the golden age of central heating with the boom of cheap gas and electric and oil has long passed. Like I said most now have one warm room and a tallboy full of jumpers. Far healthier I reckon and if all else fails there is a good rural cartoon of a lady showing her guest the guest room, the guest is shivering and looking apprehensive, oh dear it is a bit cold isnt it the host coos, I will go and get you another dog to go on the bed, (the bed is covered with snoring hounds) x x x
GTM x x x x

October 25, 2012 at 2:52 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Ah. I was afraid a new kitten meant something like that. I'm sorry for your losses and sorry to bring it up again.

October 25, 2012 at 4:38 PM  
Blogger Sara Hartman said...

Jenna - your house shelters and evelopes so much that is good - thanks for sharing it. How about a picture of Boghadair, the little demon!

October 26, 2012 at 5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home