Monday, October 15, 2012

marathon stationary beasts

It was a busy and exhausting weekend, full of festivals and going-away parties and pancake dinners and late night tea with neighbors. Last night was spent indoors at Common Sense farm saying goodbye to some very special people. It was warm in so many ways, with smiling faces and hugs. And then their were days like Saturday spent entirely outdoors in the cold wind. And that's not a complaint mind you, but it is an acknowledgment. Long cold days outside make you a kind of tired of its own breed. When the wind is bitter and your body craves sleep, fat, and warmth you withstand time outdoors much like a sheep on the hills does, I assume. It's a marathon of stationary activity.

I'm a big fan of long days outdoors and how coming inside to a warm wood stove and some soup and crusty bread can revive you...but my friends, it was a brutal day! I was at the Ackland's locally famous CiderFest at Maple Lane Farm, which was full of hundreds of kind people, amazing just-pressed cider, hay rides in tractors and an entire two buildings full of potluck treats. I was there helping Patty give cart rides in her new green wagon with Steele. I had not slept well the night before so by 3PM in the wind, after being up 12 hours already, I was ready to come home and tuck in. Which is what I did, with gusto, around 4PM. I came home from the day outside, fed the animals and did evening chores and then lit the fire in the bunbaker and fell asleep by early evening watching River Cottage Road Trip. Wild Saturday night.

Over the weekend I found homes for some of my future pork shares and did a lot of cleaning and regular house chores. Bills were paid, parents called, and groceries gathered. I even cleaned out the fridge, and that was a revelation. My fridge insides look totally different than just a few years ago. The inside of it looks like a third world market. Cloth-covered glass bowls of meat and butter and glass jars of milk and cream. There's carrots with tops still on them and heads of broc and soon I hope a few rows of homebrewed porter to join their ranks. There are very few bar codes in that fridge, very little packaging. It's the way my whole life seems to me moving. I mean, you can't slap a license plate on the back of a horse's bum, right? Anyway, I hope to add to the cold larder today and pick up my half of a lamb I split with Patty and Mark from Livingston Brook Farm. My own sheep are not in the meaty way right now, and so we bought a lamb from up in Hebron. I will play around with some masala recipes, also with gusto.

P.S. Goats should come home today or tomorrow, I can't wait. I miss having those two scoffers here. It will be one happy reunion, that is for certain!

P.P.S. Do any Fiddlers want to come up next weekend for the potluck? If I can get four of you or so, I'll be happy to host it but if people are just busy or travel is hard we can do it later in the winter?

5 Comments:

Blogger katiegirl said...

My husband gets sick of me using the phrase "crusty bread", because I'm always telling him I want some crusty bread. I think lamb stew and crusty bread sounds like a perfect meal for fall.

Do you still have Monday? I've got 2 ram lambs for the freezer and I'm counting down the days until they're ready.

October 15, 2012 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Chautauqua said...

I can come up Saturday for fiddlin; but if there's not a lot of enthusiasm, I might be able to come later, depending on weather, etc. (7 hour drive :-(

Trish

October 15, 2012 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I can't come next weekend to fiddle. If you guys do it later in the season I might be able to come. It all depends on the business :).

October 15, 2012 at 3:31 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Ditto on what Trish and Kate said. I'd love to come up Saturday for the potluck, but also have some things I need to tend to here. I'm turning our garden shed into a 3-season office/potting shed and would be glad of the work day if we can reschedule for now.

October 15, 2012 at 8:21 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Hi Jenna!

I'm making a trip up to stay in a cabin in the Merck Forest this weekend. I would love to come by for an afternoon of fiddling, but I understand if there's not enough interest to have it now. I would be up for a fiddle reunion later this year or in the spring if that works better for others.
I'm still loving my fiddle and practicing as much as I can! I'm not up to the recommended five songs yet, but I can tell I've improved by leaps and bounds since fiddle camp. Thanks again for your wonderful and inspiring instruction!

October 15, 2012 at 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home