Monday, October 22, 2012

Living Grass And The Dead Sea

I picked up a truckload of hay from Nelson Greene's farm this afternoon. It was a beautiful drive. Still a little too warm for my October tastes, but I didn't let the sunny sixty-degree afternoon spoil my day. I was determined to enjoy it. I cleaned out the back bed, and called for my farm hand. Gibson jumped up into his spot in the cockpit of the Dodge and we headed north to Hebron.

I rolled down the windows and I hung an arm out my side, and he hung his front paws out his. I turned up the stereo and The Lumineer's were just hitting the final few choruses of Dead Sea, which I adored since the first time I heard it, so I smiled wide and drove on, singing along. What a sweet little song that is. I looked over to Gibson and sang to my smiling dog.

Like the Dead Sea
You told me I was like the Dead Sea
You'll never sink when you are with me
Oh Lord, like the dead Sea


Gibson doesn't sing but he knows when I'm happy and he gets the energy of the joy. He closed his eyes as the truck picked up speed, the wind knocking back his black and white mane around his face. What a grand dog he is. What a beautiful (okay, okay, I admit the weather was lovely if you're into that sort of thing….) day. What a good task we had ahead. An afternoon of loading and unloading fifty-pound bales so that a few weeks from now when frost covers the world my sheep, goats, pigs, and horses have good grass of the summer to munch and roll about it. I like this work for a Monday afternoon. It suits me.

I picked up 17 bales and Nelson helped me tie them down. I handed him a check and he asked if it was okay to cash it today? It's the kind of question that keeps me coming back to his farm as a customer. If I told Nelson to hold it three weeks he would (and he has, trust me), but instead I nodded and told him it was okay. The fine people at AdSense sent along my payment today and it was enough to cover the hay order and my truck payment. What a blessing that was, to have the blog itself earn enough money to feed the animals for a few weeks? Who knew?

My heart is dedicated to change right now. Nothing deep or drastic, just changes I need to keep this place moving well into the future (and me too). New habits, new diet, new books, new projects, and all sorts of things too exciting to talk about just yet. But I can say I feel pretty darn good about whats in store for me. Not to tease too much, but y'all best just stay tuned, ya hear?!

I'm Like the Dead Sea
The finest words you ever said to me
Honey can't you see?
I was born to be your Dead Sea

11 Comments:

Blogger Eileen Hileman said...

Jenna I think the PNW got the NE's weather - its a high of 46 here today in Indianola (and in E. Wa (Spokane across to Sandpoint) there is a winter storm warning with a possibility of up to 10 inches of snow.) As my (early) retirement date approaches and we find our very own farm in Washington County I can't wait to be season CAF passholders. My desk is covered with pictures of farms for sale in WA county. Hopefully with one with enough acreage to grow at least some of our hay. Still working on a good Gaelic farm name.

Eileen

October 22, 2012 at 5:41 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Wow. You know I still feel like I can just jump in my Subaru and turn south into town and drive across the bridge to visit old friends? I miss Sandpoint. A lot of me started there.

good Gaelic name? hmm. What kind of farm?

October 22, 2012 at 5:46 PM  
Blogger Eileen Hileman said...

Jenna - have you seen pictures since the road work on the bridge/hwy leading into Sandpoint? The realtor just sent me pictures of five farms in Washington County - one off Turnpike Road on 42 acres -. What kind of farm - well we plan to raise sheep for wool, chickens for eggs/meat. We're discussing a milk cow (we both grew up on dairies and we know what that entails). Depends on the amount of acreage - we'd like at least 20 acres - more if we can afford it. We're in the process of selling the place here (its on five acres). A friend suggest "Faelin Farm" - I'm sure I'm misspelling that - it means little wolf in Gaelic. If you think of anything drop me a note. Did you get the card?

eileen

October 22, 2012 at 9:14 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I got a bunch of cards! thank you for yours!

October 23, 2012 at 9:24 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

As for names, here are some with pronunciation

http://namenerds.com/scottish/gaelicguy.html

October 23, 2012 at 9:27 AM  
Blogger Patsy said...

Jenna, have you ever thought about getting a roomate? Just a thought that it would help pay the bills and give you and extra hand around the farm.

October 23, 2012 at 9:59 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

roommates are not an option here. Too little space and too many rules for too much money to make it worth it for them. Plus, it makes me uncomfortable.

October 23, 2012 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Trying to remember to click on an ad every day. Does it help to click on more than one ad?

October 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Trying to remember to click on an ad every day. Does it help to click on more than one ad?

October 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Love the "old-time" courtesies Nelson has. When I was little and visited my grandparents in Lockport, IL we would have the treat of going to the local neighborhood grocery store and could put candy on their account. Bill would be paid monthly when Grandpa got paid, no interest charged. Just good sense neighborly business:)

October 24, 2012 at 8:37 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Forgot to add I just ordered your recommended beeswax candles. Got the best service. They arrived in just 3 days. LOVE them! Ordered a nice amount in anticipation of my off-grid farm for lighting (along with oil lamps).

October 24, 2012 at 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home