Sunday, October 21, 2012

Leave The Light On

Spent yesterday moving Jon and Maria, and it was such a gorgeous day. What might sound like a lot of work turned into a wonderful community event. They had five good friends come to help, all different ages and with different abilities. Kurt and Ben did most of the heavy lifting (I helped with some) and loading up their trailer. Maria and I hefted bags and boxes and delivered luggage and frames and shows and everything else smaller than a chest freezer. Jon organized and helped and set up his new writing office. Two of their friends who are long-time Cambridge families helped carry gear, sort, and provided a full lunch board with cold cuts, sandwiches, and veggies. It was the perfect division of labor, everyone doing their part and happy to do so. And through a day of trips back-and-forth between the farms, furniture arranging, heavy lifting and hard sweats we ended up with a home. A real, honest to goodness, home. That photo is from the pizza dinner we shared last night in celebration. Frieda, Maria's loyal art hound and ex-terror was watching me with mild interest. One of these days I'm going to pet her. Last night wasn't that night though.

I wanted to come back at dinnertime with something special. Since they were making the pizza dinner I was providing dessert. I made a few tiny pies in jam jars quick and as they baked in my oven I grabbed a pumpkin off the porch steps. I was going to carve a smiling face, but changed my mind. Jack-o-lanterns are powerful symbols you know? They were set on porches and front windows as lanterns to the spirits who passed away. In some legends they lit the way home for the ghosts of loved ones lost, so they could spend one last day among the living. I don't really believe in ghosts, to be perfectly honest. But I do believe in memories, and they may be very much the same thing. A light to the past, a torch to invite nostalgia and love. I really like the idea of leaving a light on. Hope's a mighty gift.


Blogger RamblinHome said...

What a sweet idea w/ the pumpkin! Now about this mini pie in jam jars...please explain, because I'm intrigued.

October 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM  
Blogger Greentwinsmummy said...

What a simply perfect gift x

October 21, 2012 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger Mom Shaw said...

I have been an ardent follower of Jon's blog, and my mom has started reading yours, so now that you are neighbors with J & M, I feel I must start reading yours! You seem like a really good friend to them; I've only met them once at one of Jon's talks and of course I have a couple of Maria's potholders, but when you read Jon's blog every day, you start to feel like you really know them. Now is there any way to see your new blog entries on Facebook on sent to my email which is AOL? Thanks Jenna! ~Robin

October 21, 2012 at 12:32 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

How sweet! They are lucky to have you as a friend ☺

October 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger Sara Hartman said...

Jenna- this was such a wonderful gift to friends - your labor, company, encouragement, pies (how do you make those jam jar pies?) and especially that very touching carved pumpkin to be a glowing welcome them to their new home with all the past memories and future hopes.

October 21, 2012 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Sara Hartman said...

Jenna - what a wonderful gift to your friends - of your labor, your company, encouragement,jam jar pies(how do you make those?), and that lovely glowing pumpkin to welcome them to their new home with both memories and hopes for the future.

October 21, 2012 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Friendship and home! Two of life's greatest gifts. Then, of course, there are love and hope. Though this world can be a harsh place sometimes, life is beautiful. Festive, happy pumpkin indeed! Glad the move went so well. :)

October 21, 2012 at 2:27 PM  
Blogger Kelpie and Collie said...

That's well done Pumpkin Jenna, and sounds like a hale and hearty day for all. You are a good friend.

October 21, 2012 at 5:00 PM  
Blogger marilyn said...

Jon worries about money but he is one of the richest men I've ever heard of as he has such a dependable, caring group of true friends who are there when he needs them. Love the pumpkin! Thanks for helping J and M. You know legions of their followers would have helped if given the chance!

October 21, 2012 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger grace lovelace said...

jenna you are a very lovely young lady
good for you

October 21, 2012 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

A lovely day! I think the pumpkin was a fantastic touch.

I was thinking of you this AM as I greeted my new (black) cat - I named her Samhain!

October 22, 2012 at 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home