Tuesday, October 9, 2012

laying my cards down

It was a long day, as every day has been since Antlerstock ended. A normal person would have taken a few days to rest and relax, but instead the weekend has invigorated me a thousand times over. Since everyone left here Sunday I started learning a new song on the fiddle, helped friends build a new pig pen in my barn, tore down old polyrope and put up a stronger horse fence, rotated pastures and started flushing the sheep for late fall breeding, and other things I can't remember right now. Oh, right, I got a second pig. Alison, a genius reader already named him. Lunchbox, meet your little buddy Thermos.

I just put a Freedom Ranger in the oven. He roasting whole, covered in a massage of olive oil and herbs and sitting on a bed of kale, potatoes, squash and carrots. The whole party is in one huge cast iron skillet and baking as I type. In a few moments with the smells of a cracklin' bird and a roaring fire in the Bunbaker, this place is going to be downright charming. Outside is a little wet and windy, but my jacks carved this weekend with the antlers and crescent moon, and smiling leers are guarding the front door from any sort of discomfort. It's nights like this you stop, take it all in, and breathe deep.

Here I am.

I got an email from Brett in Gaelic. He speaks fluent spanish and thinks my Gaelic learnings is pretty ridiculous (and he's a McLeod) but I laughed when I saw what he wrote. I had to translate it.

Cò an caora sin còmhla riut a chunnaic mi an-raoir?
(who is that sheep I saw you with last night?)

My response:

Ur Mathair
(I am not translating due to tack)

It was a nice laugh. I also got a nice green owl card from California, it arrived and made me light up. A nice Samhain greeting on a cold blustery fall day. And not just any day, but a day hardened by work and ending with a new pig and a chicken in the oven. Tomorrow if the rain holds off I'll take Merlin up the mountain to take in the fall foliage at its peak. Are we supposed to want more? If we are, I'm laying my cards down as is.

17 Comments:

Blogger Sewing Machine Girl said...

I don't read for a couple of days and look at all that has happened!

October 9, 2012 at 6:26 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Rest well.

Cath

October 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM  
Anonymous janet gordon said...

Sounds like you are coming down nicely from the weekend and that it has revitalized you. Coming from a province in Canada where Gaelic was spoken as a matter of course in certain areas, and which at one time had more native gaelic speakers than Scotland did, working out your response to Brett waswn't rocket science!!! :-)
Have a good week - let's hope winter comes slowly - there is still much to do. BTW good to get a second pig - they are much more content in groups.

October 9, 2012 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger kwdiving said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. I am glad to hear the weather wasn't too terrible for antlerstock. Enjoy

October 9, 2012 at 7:05 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Ha! I can't tell you how psyched I am to see my name on your blog. Now I feel like godmother to a pig. Fill that Thermos up with whey!

October 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM  
Blogger Angeline (Brinkley Miles and Co.) said...

Lunchbox!! Perfection!

October 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

:D!! Sounds like you are having a magnificent Autumn.. ahem.. End Of Summer! Keep enjoying.. yours is THE life. (I'm not yelling with the caps there, just using them for emphasis...)

October 9, 2012 at 7:53 PM  
Blogger CheshyrCat said...

In response to your response to Brett:

Nice one.

October 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM  
Blogger Zan Asha said...

Wow, Jenna, every time I stop by you are a flurry or muscle and purpose!

Good on ya, gal!

If'n you have a moment, could you let me know about an email I sent you? It's under the name therenegadefarmer....

Happy Autumn!

October 9, 2012 at 10:37 PM  
Anonymous T. Crockett said...

Somehow classic smack talk sounds elevated and genteel in Gaelic. Thanks for the laugh.

And that's one adorable thermos you've got there.

October 9, 2012 at 10:56 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Oh my goodness. He is toooo cute to eat! But I do love my bacon.

October 9, 2012 at 11:03 PM  
Blogger Mare said...

I can smell your dinner all the way over here! Enjoy Jenna!

October 9, 2012 at 11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really appreciate this post. I have been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thx again

October 10, 2012 at 4:40 AM  
Anonymous Samantha Burns said...

Love the names of the piggies!

October 10, 2012 at 7:24 AM  
Anonymous Grant Wagner said...

At then end of the day, it's still a "Yo Mama" joke. ^_^

October 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Ashling said...

Who could want more than that?

October 10, 2012 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger Wendy Halliman said...

Years ago we were just starting our homesteading adventure and decided to raise some hogs. Our neighbor had raised hogs for years and offered us some priceless tips!! Due to the confidence they instilled in us that raising hogs would be a piece of cake, we decided to buy 4 instead of 2. We were told the eat better because they are competing with each other. My kids were around 6 and 3 at the time. We were rather worried about how we would explain the raising of cute lil piglets for food. Both of my girls have always been very animal-oriented and were afraid they would think us horrible parents for eating the cute lil piggies. When the 4 piglets arrived. Oldest daughter, Kristina, was watching the new-comers rooting around in their new pen. She looked my husband in the eye and said "Daddy? Are we going to eat those piggies?" Husband is all ready to launch into 'the talk' we had planned out about the circle of life etc. He barely got the "yes" out when she looked up at him and said...."Well, I don't want any fat on mine" as she hopped on her tricycle and headed off to do important kid stuff. We ended up naming them: Sausage, Bacon, Ham and Porkchop so we wouldn't get attached to them LOL

October 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home