Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hold Fast

Just in from morning rounds by lantern light. Outside the farm the moon is bright and full and shining all over the wet and branch-covered ground, but from the looks of morning feeding the horses, sheep, goats, and pigs are all doing fine. Being dark out and the wind still howling I didn't open the coop I shut up and latched last night but it was in good shape and none of the barns had downed-tree damage, nor did the house. A lot of people weren't as lucky from the looks of Facebook. Trees took out parked cars and garages, awnings went flying into the air and NYC has become a wading pool in some areas. For those not familiar with my area: New York City is a four hour drive south east, pretty darn far from Washington County. I live closer to the state capital, Albany, which was lucky too from what I haven't heard in bad news. This little farm is holding fast.

Post title inspired by the McLeod crest, which I learned about from a cattle owning Scot in the Adirondacks, named Brett McLeod. I assure you his farm did just fine in the howl.

11 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear every things is ok at your farm.

October 30, 2012 at 7:02 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Had to check on you first thing this am, make sure you made it thru the night...roofs intact and animals sound. Glad you are all well. Continued prayers for safe passage thru this storm:)
Holly in Illinois

October 30, 2012 at 7:02 AM  
Blogger kwdiving said...

Happy to hear you have no major damage! Good luck to everyone else up that way!

October 30, 2012 at 7:05 AM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

Same here! My road and the five roads that connect to it are among the last few in my town without power (been out since 9 PM) and since we are considered a camp road, we'll be the last they get to! Ah, bucket bathing...can't say as I've missed that. If I didn't have to go to work, I wouldn't worry about it.

October 30, 2012 at 7:08 AM  
Blogger Emily Browning said...

I'm so glad to hear you are doing okay!

October 30, 2012 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

I'm glad you and the critters are safe and well and your building are still in good shape.

October 30, 2012 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'm so glad you all safely made it through the night! I hope you were able to get a little sleep last night with all the wind. (Sarah from Minnesota)

October 30, 2012 at 7:34 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

Are those knitting needles alongside the cattle head? And a skein of yarn below it? The Scots are both hard core and awesome. Love it.

Glad the Cold Antlers and the Indomitable Scots are doing well.

October 30, 2012 at 8:52 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

Okay, at second glance they're not knitting needles, they're flag poles. They should be knitting needles, though.

October 30, 2012 at 8:54 AM  
Blogger Molly Piper said...

Glad your are well Jenna, looking forward to your Halloween story this year. :)

October 30, 2012 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

My grandfather was a MacLeod. This motto has been said in my family for a looong time. :)

October 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home