Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Friday Night of Antlerstock

Antlerstock started Friday night, with folks coming from all over America to enjoy the weekend of learning, fellowship, and firelight. There were people from just six miles down the lane and as far away as Ohio, Michigan, Maryland, Montana, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Maine, and beyond. And when I say beyond, I mean it. One darling woman named Emily came from Australia! It is an honor in itself to be someone's destination—but when the people who come are as kind and game as this year's bunch—the honor transcends into celebration. I had a wonderful, exhausting, and productive weekend. I hope they all had the same.

Friday night was the campfire, and folks brought a covered dish, baked bread, desserts, or drinks to share. We sat out behind the barn in my firepit area, an open circle of ancient apples and in the shadow of the old barn. I was feeling tired, and happy to not have any workshops or events that night. Before the first folks arrived I had spent the day setting up the portable toilet, unloading over fifty bales of hay with Nelson Greene, fixing the horses fence, cleaning, and preparing. When the night brought me sips of Guinness, hard cider, and a pulled pork sandwich under the stars...I was feeling very content. All around me were neighbors, friends, and old faces from last year's Antlerstock along with new folks I only knew from emails and comments. It was great to finally meet them all in person, shake hands, hear each other's stories and raise a glass to the weekend ahead.

I brought little Boghadair (Bo-yeh-dare) out to the campfire, and he was a hit. Riley brought out his guitar and I had my fiddle. We played some music, simple chords and fiddle slides and long bow strokes. It was end-of-the-day music. The kind you sit and hear feeling grateful you got where you were going. Then Elizabeth took over the fiddle, and Brigit played her drum. The music was a background, not a concert but still a hoot. Kate, who was a student at Fiddle Camp, brought her fiddle and played for the whole fire circle! I was so proud of her, she did wonderful!

Eventually a rain seam opened and we all called it a night. It was around 10PM and all of us were going to be up early to prepare for the morning of backyard forestry, horse logging, sourdough bread making, and soapmaking. In just a few hours Antlerstock would officially begin...

5 Comments:

Blogger Molly Piper said...

Lovely and inspiring. Though a reader from afar, I feel part of your very special community-making. Thank you Jenna and everybody who was there.

October 9, 2012 at 11:58 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

I've never done that kind of music-making... just improvising with two other musicians by the campfire. I don't think I ever would have if not for CAF. Thanks for that.

October 9, 2012 at 1:30 PM  
Blogger seagrrlz said...

One of these days, I'm going to make it there. I am for sure not as far away as Australia,lol.Went and looked @ Jon's pix. Looks like it was a blast.

October 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger rabbit said...

Next Antlerstock-I'm playing SOMETHING! ;)

October 9, 2012 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger rabbit said...

Next Antlerstock-I'm playing SOMETHING!

October 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home