Friday, October 5, 2012

can you hear me now?

Here's a photo of earlier in the summer with Brett and I on our mounts Dolly and Merlin. We look shrimpy, but only because Patty took the photo from the back of her 18-hand Warmblood Ellis! (Our draft stock are both 14 hands.) Brett will be here in a few hours to help instruct and join in with Antlerstock, but I wanted to share this story before he arrived.

I got a call from Brett yesterday afternoon. The reception was bad. "Can you hear me?" he asked, a bit fuzzy between the static, "I'm riding home from work on my horse." The phone died out shortly after that but it didn't matter because I was laughing so hard I couldn't talk anyway. Brett got the college he teaches at to allow him to take "his other car" into the office when he teaches. Dolly the Haflinger mare stays at the college's draft horse stables while he teaches and then he can saddle up and ride her home. So how about it, Cell phone calls from horseback!

I love the company I keep these days.

12 Comments:

Blogger Joie said...

what a fun story!

October 5, 2012 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger Becca at Rabbit Moon Farm said...

Brett calling you from horseback is epic.

October 5, 2012 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger Ellen Rathbone said...

Tres cool! It'd be great if more places accommodated such transport.

October 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM  
Blogger Lynnanne said...

go brett! if i had a place to keep a horse, i'd be riding one to work, too. beats the hell out of these gas prices, for sure. :)

October 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

That is terrific! I wish I could do that, but my commute is 45 minutes by car. :-/

October 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger aerogramme said...

I am missing my mule ride to work .... way to go Bret, and yes it can be done with some tinkering ...

October 5, 2012 at 11:56 AM  
Blogger Brenda London said...

good company! I admire your seat on your horse. I have a 14 hand pony and I just cannot get a good seat on her to be comfortable and communicate effectively with her (I am 5'6"). I got her as a rescue and want to keep her under saddle to be a good ride for my grandkids, but I am just not doing it very well. So, thinking my grands will learn to ride on my fairly bomb proof 16+ hand mares, then move onto pony when they can handle her by themselves since she does not have the miles under saddle the rest have. This is one problem I did not anticipate in my excitement over finding such a nice (and needy) pony.

October 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger Chautauqua said...

My kids, (and other kids) can ride their snowmobiles to school. There is even a separate parking lot for sleds, and they can keep their helmets in the warm main office. Nice little perc for living 'rural' ...

October 5, 2012 at 2:43 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Fabulous!

October 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Using cell phones from horseback. The NEW modern... or just postmodern.;)

If only the old school equestrians could see that!

October 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM  
Blogger cc said...

Love it!!

October 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM  
Blogger Nicola Cunha said...

That's amazing!

October 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home