Friday, November 30, 2012

Four Spots Opened!

Below you can see two workshops coming up, one being tomorrow. Four people had to cancel so I have a few openings for this sold out event. It's called Words and Wool and it's a day dedicated to writing, knitting projects, authors, blogs, and getting your website out there. It's about learning to market, make some cash, and make your blog work harder for you. Author Jon Katz will be here. Other authors who are locals may show up as well. Last Chance lower rates are available for those interested. So if you want to get an amazing Saturday in the W.C. Lined up for tomorrow come to the workshop here and then enjoy a live show by Jay Unger and Molly Mason at Hubbard Hall. It's not to late to sign up here and get tickets for the show/Contra dance! And for those interested in music: This winter beginner fiddler workshop is sold out, but in the spirit of the wonderful and successful fiddle camps I am offering a version for those of you who are looking for instant gratification and less squeaks and squawks: Also, a less expensive instrument. Check this out.

Introducing Dulcimer Day Camp!
April 13th 2013



Come up to the farm this April when the snows are gone and lambs are on my mind for a Saturday dedicated to learning the Mountain Duclimer. Everyone who signs up for the day gets an Apple Creek Dulcimer of their very own and a basic instruction book. We'll spend the morning learning about the history, tuning, and strumming patterns and the afternoon learning your first songs! You will also leave knowing how to read tabs(so you don't need to know how to read music to attend) and the basics of jamming by chord and ear.

Just like fiddle camp you arrive knowing nothing and leave not only with your own instrument, but the knowledge to tune, play, and enjoy it. The dulcimer is a wonderful way for even the most skeptical of wannabe musicians to start with. It is tuned to itself and there isn't really a way to play a wrong note on it. As long as she's in tune, she'll make sweet music for you.

So if you ever wanted to add some music to your campfires, living rooms or farm front porches and and learn to bring home that beautiful music. Meet other beginner's, and enjoy a spring time farm. If you already have an older dulcimer then all you need to do is get it checked by a music shop and possibly get it restrung. If you own a newer dulcimer but never really learned, then sign on up and get inspired. You'll be strumming out Shady Grove in no time!

Please email me if you are interested, cost will be $225.00 for the whole day and the instrument and book, and include a farm tour. Please pack a lunch or plan to eat out in town. CAF Season Pass members just let me know if you want to come along, you only need to buy the book and dulc!

Words & Wool with Jon Katz!
Dec 1st 2012 - 4 spots left!


Come to Cold Antler Farm this winter for a special workshop called Words & Wool. It is a knitter's circle and writing workshop dedicated to the small homestead or farmer's blog and the marketing and promotion of it. Come learn straight from the shepherd's mouth how I built, promoted, and expanded my blog. Ask me questions about publishing and writing professionally, learn how to sell or pitch ads and giveaways, bring a sample of writing to talk about and share with the group for a healthy and kind critique. Tell your story with eager ears listening, and a border collie in your lap....At the very least get some ideas for your personal, non commercial blog for your friends and family. It's a day dedicated to expanding your own brand and business, and getting the word out about your own website as another, vibrant, source of income for your farm and family.

Jon Katz (that's him loving up his donkey Simon), the New York Times Bestselling author will be here as well to do a talk about how he started blogging and how the internet has helped grow his brand. He writes and shares his amazing photography at Bedlamfarm.com. His blog is one of the most popular farm blogs online now, with nearly 5 million hits! Some of you may already read it, and those who don't, should. It never hurts to have a little more Washington County in your life! He'll be available to share his own experiences and do a Q&A as well as sign any books you may have for him. And as for the wool? Bring a knitting project! If you are coming along to listen and talk, you might as well have something to work on near the wood stove. Other knitters will be on hand to help, give advice, share patterns and teach you the basics if you are new to the craft. Expect a comfortable day, indoors mostly, at the farm. The class starts at 10AM and goes till 3PM, and if you want to stay after the class for a private party of creamy potato soup and bread fresh from the Bun Baker wood stove you are welcome to it!

Please email me if you are interested, cost will be $100.00 for the whole day, and include a farm tour. Please pack a lunch for a midday knitting break. CAF Season Pass members just let me know if you want to come along!

Season Pass promotion: Sign up for either workshop and you can pay a little more and be welcome back all year long as a Season Pass Member. SPM's are a driving force of support and goodwill on this little farm. They keep me going, as all of you do who read, email, comment, donate and come out to scratch Gibson behind the ears and tussle Merlin's mane.

13 Comments:

Blogger Glyndalyn said...

I recognized the location of most of the places in your dulcimer video. We have been to all those areas many times, partly because we live 3 hrs. away, have done much hiking and back and front country camping, and my husband is an AT thru hiker, trail name Veto. And I,too, have done many miles of long and short distance hiking.

I would love to attend the dulcimer class, if we lived close.

The Phony Farm in rural Middle TN

September 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Molly Piper said...

Dear good big-hearted Jenna, just watched your dulcimer video, it is chock full of good thinking, caring, spiritedness and so much that can't be put into words.
A gift for you - perhaps you already know about this lady who has lit up the world in completely impossible situations, all with her music and laughter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsV_MTnhpfw&feature=related
And I still want to say, a lot of people are in such deep stress these days, away from nature and music, and you bring such meaning and hope.

September 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I want a Words & Wool Webinar! I mean, I'd rather be there in person, but since I can't swing that right now...yeah. Please, please, pretty please? I'm interested in trying to write more for public consumption. I have no clue where to start or what direction to go.

September 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger Knit Picky Knitter said...

Jenna - can I sign up for the Dulcimer class if I already have a dulcimer?

September 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Yes you can, just email me!

September 20, 2012 at 11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the Clemmers well. My family makes dulcimers. Small world! :)

October 13, 2012 at 1:45 AM  
Blogger Lydia said...

Hey Jenna,
Are you going to offer your online dulcimer class again? I would love to make it out to your place but alas, I'm stuck in Texas.
Thanks!

October 19, 2012 at 10:46 AM  
OpenID themorningdistrict.com said...

I want to come to your Words and Wool event soooooo badly, but just can't swing it this year. I really, really, REALLY hope you'll it annually? Or do a webinar? (Though I really want to come to Cold Antler.) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do more words and wool in the future. I promise I'll come, I just can't this year.
-Kelley

November 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

The dulcimer class sounds so cool! I would love to attend if I weren't so geographically challenged :p. Hope you all have fun!

November 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM  
Blogger seagrrlz said...

Jenna, I would love to come to the class but can't make it all the way from NL. Can you tell me who you get your dulcimers from? My friend and I were thinking of getting one and I can't see to find a Canadian source.

November 11, 2012 at 8:58 PM  
Blogger Crisy said...

Jenna what time 2mrw does the words and wool start? I don't think my emails are going through

November 30, 2012 at 7:16 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

10 AM!

November 30, 2012 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Love Jon's hat! Great to see support for Wisconsin's battle far and wide.
Cindy
Wisconsin

December 5, 2012 at 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home