Sunday, September 2, 2012

visit from polyface interns!

I Just had a wonderful visit with three folks from the Polyface Farm! Michael, Brie, and Heather. I know what you're thinking, what the heck are people from VIrginia doing up in Veryork? Good question and here is my good answer: MIchael Kilpatrick, the driver of the trio is none other than Michael Kilpatrick of Kilpatrick Family Farm, a popular CSA just north of Cold Antler. He and I have been in touch over the years. I met him when I bought laying hens from him one chilly Thanksgiving Morning, and since then we had bartered graphic design work for firewood and such. He decided at 25 to head south to intern under Joel and the gang and I'm proud of him for taking the leap of faith. He's learning such great stuff, and he'll bring it to his own farm and watch it thrive around him.

Anyway, he was driving up for the weekend, showing Heather and Brie his home farm, and he emailed me to ask if on the way back to Swoope they could stop by CAF? I said sure, I had no plans but chores and editing all day so a nice chat and coffee with fellow agrarians would be a treat.

We had a great time. I gave them the nickel tour and we chatted about both farms (drastically different, but both ran with passion), trying not to step on Monday underfoot or trip over tomato cages in the woods. Heather and Brie were funny and patient with me, listening to me blab on about the goats or Mother Earth News Fair. I asked if they were going and they weren't sure. They'd need a place to crash I think and most hotels are booked up. I think they'll figure it out if they want to go, Seven Springs isn't far from Swoope compared to most places. I hope to see them in September.

When they left, Brie and Heather said it was a dream come true to see my homestead. I couldn't help laughing, since they are pilgrims from my my own Promise Land, Polyface Farms. I look up to that place the way kids in the grandstands looked up to Babe Ruth. I think I was more nervous to meet them than they realized. But soon as they pulled away I went upstairs to make sure I knew where my Polyface hoodie was so I could wear it at the campfire tonight. They'll be in Virginia back at their keep by the time the campfire here is hot enough to roast potatoes in, but I'll be thinking of them. I like that farms have their own little fan bases now. It's a wholesome kind of sport.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kirsten said...

Jenna, give yourself credit. Joel grew up farming, and Polyface is getting very, very big. You are a one woman homestead with grit and determination. While Joel is a pioneer, your work is every bit as important. More importantly, you make it seem do-able to young people without a lot of resources. Enjoy your campfire!

September 2, 2012 at 1:00 PM  
Anonymous Carol in NC said...

Fan base for sure! Yesterday I described myself to an old friend as a Joel Salatin freakazoid. And, just so you know, I'm a real fan of yours too. I love our wholesome little sport!

September 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM  
Blogger Goat Song said...

I don't think I got to meet Michael while I was at Polyface, back in January, but I loved Brie and Heather! Both are so sweet! Sounds like you had a fun day. :)

September 2, 2012 at 5:42 PM  
Blogger Erika said...

I hadn't seen Michael in so long! I got to see him at market yesterday and it was great, although brief. I can't wait to visit in a few weeks down there.

September 2, 2012 at 8:10 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I made a pilgrimage to Polyface two summers ago now - had a great chat with Sheri about pasturing rabbits. It's both a mythical place and a genuinely real, gritty, hot, sweaty place - and I loved that.

September 3, 2012 at 7:47 AM  
Blogger Crisy said...

Just so you know you are a HOUSEHOLD NAME in our little abode! I've got a 15 year old and a 13 year old that now ask - hey when you goin up there again? whats that antler girl up to? It is the healthiest sport i know and that one day in your yard turned amphitheater under that huge maple tree was a turning point for me!!! Viva la FARMS!!!!!!!!!

September 3, 2012 at 9:28 AM  
Blogger Brie said...

Jenna, it was such a highlight of my summer to see your place yesterday. Thank you again for sharing it with us. I'm inspired! Hope it was a good campfire :)

September 4, 2012 at 12:30 AM  
Blogger Brie said...

Jenna, it was such a highlight of my summer to see your place yesterday. Thank you again for sharing it with us - I'm inspired! Hope it was a good campfire :)

September 4, 2012 at 12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home