Tuesday, September 18, 2012

the good and bad part

This morning during morning chores I was feeding the sheep near their shed and spreading straw inside for clean bedding (rain all day today so I wanted them comfortable inside) when I backed into a paper wasps' nest sneakily built in the interior walls.

The bad part: I am riddled with stings

The good part: There is no good part. They are wasps.

16 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Aw, that sucks! Hope you're okay. :(

September 18, 2012 at 7:38 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

I am feeling for you! Benedryl?

September 18, 2012 at 7:57 AM  
Anonymous Janet said...

jenna,

benadryl for the stings!

janet

September 18, 2012 at 7:58 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

Jenna, seriously, Plantain works! You have to have some growing out in your sheep pasture. Pick some leaves, wash them off and chew them to make a pulpy mess and spread all over the stings. It takes swelling down and the sting is gone. That's the first thing I do when I get stung. It really works. I hope you feel better soon.

September 18, 2012 at 8:01 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

One word-ouch! Hope you get better quickly.

September 18, 2012 at 8:14 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

That sounds like a scene from one of my personal nightmares. Hope you feel better. They are not fun.

September 18, 2012 at 8:20 AM  
Blogger Fresh Eggs Farm said...

OH NO!!!! Geez Jenna! Are you ok? That is terrible. I'm sorry this happened. You aren't allergic at all are you?

September 18, 2012 at 8:26 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

Ouch! Hope you are okay.

Got a wasp down my blouse once, and I had a pretty lively screaming fit until I managed to kill it--five bites later.

September 18, 2012 at 9:25 AM  
Blogger DarcC said...

Ugh, so sorry. Word to the wise - I learned this the hard way a few weeks ago - wasp stings are notirious for being bacteria-laden so if they swell more in 24 hours or so get thee some antibiotics for cellulitis, an infection in the skin. I got one solitary sting on the face and 36 hours later I woke up looking like bride of Frankenstein, couldn't open my left eye and half my face was grotesquely swollen.

September 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM  
Blogger Mist said...

Ugh! Horrible. I hope you heal quickly.

I'll second the benadryl suggestion! Wasps and poison ivy are the only reasons I keep the stuff around.

September 18, 2012 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger Maggie in Tally said...

Owieeeeeeee!

This kinda thing happened 2 weeks ago to a neighbor. He & I were picking chokecherries when he noticed wasps buzzing around us. Then he looked down. He was standing on a ground-wasp nest. I backed away and resisted the urge to swat. He got stung the first time and DID swat...and ended up with 5 more stings. He's fine. I went back an hour later with wasp spray and all-but eradicated the nest. Picked a gallon of chokecherries & made syrup. Brought him a pint and a box of Benedryl...and a 6-pack.

September 18, 2012 at 7:56 PM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

Yikes!! Sending healing thoughts your way!

September 18, 2012 at 8:03 PM  
Blogger Missa said...

Dear Jenna,
Do you ever use/own any essential oils? I have discovered that Frankincense is MAGICAL for wasp stings/bites. We have about a million wasps here and the few times one of my kids have been stung, put a dab of frankincense on it, then in a few minutes do it again. Any time this has happened the sting is completely disappeared within minutes. You can't even tell where it was. It is one of the most expensive oils but it is well worth it because it works so well! benedryl is a good suggestion if you don't have any oils on hand. But i would recommend getting some for any future stings! Hope you feel better :(
Missa

September 19, 2012 at 12:35 AM  
Anonymous Uta said...

If that ever happens again make a pack (small amount of water and tenderizer) with Adolph's Meat Tenderizer and put it on the sting it draws the poison out. Our youngest daughter was highly allergic to this so I learned a few tricks.

September 19, 2012 at 5:23 AM  
Blogger pawsfurme said...

OW OW OW!! The good part...at least you don't seem to be allergic to it....I hope.

September 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM  
Blogger Gelfling said...

But there is a good part: you didn't go into anaphylactic shock!! :P

September 19, 2012 at 8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home